Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
lowri

A Goose Egg is equal to how many hen's eggs?

I am making Victoria Sponges. Is a goose's egg equal to 3 hen's eggs? The sponges are for a friend and she has supplied the ingredients. No cookery book will tell me and nor will Wikipedia! HELP!
sean

Jamanda says use the egg/s as the weight for your flour, sugar and butter. Then you don't need to worry about conversion factors.
lowri

Thanks! So it's back to the kitchen now!! Very Happy Very Happy
pookie

I use as three hens to one goose Wink
frewen

sean wrote:
Jamanda says use the egg/s as the weight for your flour, sugar and butter. Then you don't need to worry about conversion factors.

I've done this ever since her recommendation Very Happy
sean

Frewen wrote:
sean wrote:

I've done this ever since her recommendation Very Happy

Well she does make exceedingly good cakes... Very Happy
T.G

pookie wrote:
I use as three hens to one goose Wink

thats what I equate them too as well
Jamanda

I learned to do the weight thing when we had lots of banties and quail eggs to use up as well as normal sized chicken eggs.

These days, I still do it, but my favourite combination is two chicken eggs and one duck.
lowri

I fiddled about with the scales and ended up using one goose egg instead of 3 hens'.
I had an excellent result!
Nothing to do with the eggs, but the second pair of sponges didn't rise nearly as much as the first! I suspect that the oven had gone down too much. But they look and smell delicious! My friend (for whom I was making them) will just have to be heavy-handed with the cream and fruit to make up the height! Yum yum! Thanks everybody for your help! Very Happy
lowri

Footnote: definitely the oven, I ended up making a third sponge cake a few days later and it was perfect!
mochyn

lowri wrote:
Footnote: definitely the oven, I ended up making a third sponge cake a few days later and it was perfect!

You didn't share it on here, though. Sad
lowri

It was pre-booked! Embarassed
Jonnyboy

sean wrote:

Indeed, we always weigh our eggs first then weigh the flour, sugar and butter to match.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home