Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
reebok

A new fruit to forage...

Just when you think you know them all, up pops a surprise!
Specifically, the Willow-leaved pear, Pyrus salicifolia. I'd seen a few of these near where I work, planted as they always are, as small ornamentals. During the summer they produced small, bright green pear-shaped fruits abou the size of a large grape and in good quantity. In September I tried one and wished I hadn't - they were hard and so astringent they turned your face inside out!
Never gave them another thought until today when I saw the fruits had turned brown. Opened one up and the flesh inside was also brown but the whole thing had now softened and the flesh was now moist, beautifully sweet with a very strong taste of pear - really delicious! The secret is to let them 'blet', rather like medlars.
I'm a bit late this year as most have fallen but next year I intend to collect a good quantity as I reckon they should make a super pear wine as well as being edible right off the tree.

Here are a few pics. The trees look unlike regular pear trees because of the oddly-shaped leaves but notice the classic peartree bark - cracked into small regular squares.

Has anyone else discovered uses for these?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home