Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
pookie

A pincushion from scraps of fabric (now a little challenge)

I just finished this....

a nice little 'sat by the fire' type of thing to make, and uses up those little scraps of fabric Smile

I think I might post it to my mum as a surprise, she is thinking of renewing her sewing habit.

Ok here's the challenge:

A pincushion, any material, fabric wool etc, any shape or design etc

Made any time between today and the last day of Feb. (29th as it's a leap year)

I will pick my favourite and the winner will get a little gift posted to them.

Keep your design quiet, I will ask someone, not joining in, to receive your pics from 26-29th Feb, and forward them to me without names. More details nearer the time.

Joining in:

Mochyn
Colour It Green
Frazzled Barbie
T.G.
Sally in Wales
Vanessa
Sally too
Marigold
Nell Merionwen
cir3ngirl
NorthernMonkeyGirl
Ren
Wigan Pixie

any more?
mochyn

How about a pincushion challenge?
T.G

that's pretty...

I'm working on oven gloves atm...as in I am still intending to make some Very Happy
pookie

oh yes! I'm done then Very Happy
pookie

that's pretty...

I'm working on oven gloves atm...as in I am still intending to make some Very Happy

Very Happy
Sally Too

Two circles? Stuffed? Buttons at middle and then spokes?

VERY nice! Smile

Edit....in relation to the pin cushion not the gloves! Surprised
pookie

This was my practice one, I used a bit of fabric I'm not too keen on....but I would like to make one that I would keep after Smile

Two circles? Stuffed? Buttons at middle and then spokes?

VERY nice! Smile

Edit....in relation to the pin cushion not the gloves! Surprised

Very Happy
pookie

How about a pincushion challenge?

Yep! shall we make one and post pics by the last day of Feb?

Any sort of pincushion you like!
mochyn

Spirit of stickification, bless us with your gifts... Nicky Colour it green

am i allowed to enter the ones i make for my shop? Very Happy

though mine are made from wool not fabric scraps....
pookie

yep! I've added you to my little list Very Happy Frazzled_Barbie

Ok - Are you all up for a giggle as I would like to have a go to please. T.G

ok i'll have a go sally_in_wales

I'll play, I have an antique bone sewing clamp that I need to make a new cushion for, keep putting it off so a challenge sounds a good idea Vanessa

I *might* join in ... bit busy at the moment ... so I'm a "definite maybe" ... will post a pic in time if I'm playing! Laughing pookie

I *might* join in ... bit busy at the moment ... so I'm a "definite maybe" ... will post a pic in time if I'm playing! Laughing

Yep you are definitely in Wink

keep 'em coming! Very Happy
Vanessa

Razz Sally Too

I *might* join in ... bit busy at the moment ... so I'm a "definite maybe" ... will post a pic in time if I'm playing! Laughing

Same sort of entry here Smile
pookie

Same sort of entry here Smile

added Smile
marigold

I have a pincushion project in my WIP box, so I might use this as an incentive to get it finished... IF I can carve out a spare moment or two Smile pookie

I have a pincushion project in my WIP box, so I might use this as an incentive to get it finished... IF I can carve out a spare moment or two Smile

yay! Smile
Nell Merionwen

Cool pookie

Cool

that's an add then? Very Happy
Nell Merionwen

Cool

that's an add then? Very Happy

please Smile
T.G

Re: A pincushion from scraps of fabric (now a little challen

Keep your design quiet, and post anonymous pics from 26th-29th. (I will start a new thread on the 26th for pics only)

I may be being a trifle divvy here but how would one go about this Neutral?
pookie

good point Embarassed It's been a long day....it is I who is a trifle divvy...

I think I will have to ask someone, not entering, to receive by pm, and then forward the pics to me without names. Very Happy
sean

Don't do it via PM. The gallery's visible anyway. If people want to email pics to me I'll post them for them. pookie

Thank you Sean Smile

I take it that means you won't be entering ? Wink
cir3ngirl

ok I'll join in please Rolling Eyes pookie

ok I'll join in please Rolling Eyes

Very Happy
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Maaaaayyybeeeee.... Cool pookie

Maaaaayyybeeeee.... Cool

added Wink
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Maaaaayyybeeeee.... Cool

added Wink

Does that mean I have to get on with it now?! Shocked
marigold

I have fallen at the first post - can't find the materials I was going to use Rolling Eyes . Ren

Have I got time in 11 days to play, bearing in mind I still have the winter warmer to complete that I had totally forgotten about......

(and a coat waiting to be made and corsetry waiting to be helen'd and other random fabric that accidentally keeps turning up waiting to be beautified).
pookie

Maaaaayyybeeeee.... Cool

added Wink

Does that mean I have to get on with it now?! Shocked

Yup! Very Happy

I have fallen at the first post - can't find the materials I was going to use Rolling Eyes .

there's plenty of time to find them......no excuses now Wink

Have I got time in 11 days to play, bearing in mind I still have the winter warmer to complete that I had totally forgotten about......

(and a coat waiting to be made and corsetry waiting to be helen'd and other random fabric that accidentally keeps turning up waiting to be beautified).

This is a very quick project, and may just spur you on to do the others Wink

and you've been added :p

*puts clipboard back in drawer*
cir3ngirl

Off to look for the pins Wink Ren

Wow, totally bossed about! Very Happy
Nell Merionwen

Wow, totally bossed about! Very Happy
teheheheheheh
NorthernMonkeyGirl

...does it have to look more professional than something a blind toddler would produce...? Embarassed

No offence intended to blind toddlers etc etc
Vanessa

NO! Taking part is the only criterion in DS challenges! Wink cir3ngirl

Material now found just needs unpicking. walks away wondering why I have a girls top anyway Wigan Pixie

Is it too late for me to join? 2012 is the year that I WILL master this sewing lark, so this is a perfect little project for me to join in with. pookie

ooh yes do join in, you have until the 29th of Feb, so a couple of days yet! Smile

Welcome to Downsizer too! Smile

Fellow Lancashire lass Wink
Wigan Pixie

Thank you, I'll be off to get the necessary stuff and get started Very Happy Nicky Colour it green

what do we do with the pictures when done?
Confused
Vanessa

Send them to Sean Wink sean

Yep. @downsizer.net. mochyn

Must get mine done. Ooh: there's an extra day in the month, isn't there? Laughing pookie

Must get mine done. Ooh: there's an extra day in the month, isn't there? Laughing

Yes, leap to it old girl Wink Laughing
Wigan Pixie

I've decided to be all eco friendly with mine and I'm using things that can't be used for any other project. I've made a piece of felt using parts of a shetland fleece - it was the first fleece I tried to scour myself and I made a bit of a mess. A lot of it started to felt and couldn't be carded, so it's been hiding in the spare bedroom until today. I'll use some more of it to stuff the pin cushion. I've added a bit of colour interest by using up bits of coloured fibers (which I dyed myself) left over from spinning.

It's now drying and I'm getting my head around having to use a needle and thread later, which is a pretty daunting thing for me. Not sure what shape of pin cushion I'll end up with, I thought of doing one you could wear around your wrist, just like my mum used to have, but I think that may be a bit advanced for me Embarassed
pookie

well good luck, but don't describe it any more then, as I have to pick a winner from anonymous pics Very Happy Wigan Pixie

Oops sorry Embarassed I very much doubt mine will win as my sewing skills are almost non-existent. pookie

Oops sorry Embarassed I very much doubt mine will win as my sewing skills are almost non-existent.

I'm sure it will be lovely! Very Happy

I have to decide on the prize too.....hmmmm Rolling Eyes

I think I may decide on a couple of possibilities, and whoever wins can choose Smile
pookie

How is everyone doing on this? (no descriptions please Very Happy )

Pics to be emailed to sean by midnight 29th Feb.

(this wednesday, for all those of you who haven't made yours yet!)

Sean, would you be able to upload the pics on here, on the Thursday ?

thanks. Smile
Nicky Colour it green

just got to take a photo. and its grey out... mochyn

I'll be working on mine as soon as I finish this shirt, so this afternoon, I hope! marigold

Challenge fail for me I'm afraid, due to not being able to find the materials and having too much else to do this week Embarassed . Looking forward to seeing other people's results... Very Happy sally_in_wales

probably fail here too, just swamped with stuff even though mine shouldn't take long to make Ren

I am trying but failing miserably ATM. Will see how tomorrow goes..... NorthernMonkeyGirl

What's the email address please? Smile NorthernMonkeyGirl

Sent.
But I just had a much better idea for what I *could* have done Sad
Vanessa

Then do 2, make up for those of us who are failing!! Wink cir3ngirl

Is it possible to send pics by text message please. DS does not like pics from my laptop or phone for some reason[/img] sean

No. You need to email it/them to me. I'll deal with the posting bit. mochyn

I'm nearly finished. Wigan Pixie

Mine is finished and even thought The Bloke and The Boy laughed at it, I'm very pleased with it Very Happy Nell Merionwen

I'm done Smile Nicky Colour it green

me too Sally Too

Where are the photos to go? (Did I miss that?) Are we not just posting them to this thread? pookie

no Sally, as I am judging them anonymously, please email your pic to sean@downsizer.net and he is going to post them. Thanks Smile Sally Too

Thanks - sorry - must have missed that bit on the thread! pookie

Last day today ladies!

and gents, if any of you want to do a quick entry? Very Happy
Vanessa

Going to be an epic fail from me, I'm afraid. Look forward to seeing the stuff folks HAVE made, though! mochyn

I can't wait to see the pictures! pookie

I can't wait to see the pictures!

me neither! I'm getting a little nervous that I won't be able to choose Very Happy
mochyn

me neither! I'm getting a little nervous that I won't be able to choose Very Happy

Just don't try to choose by sticking a pin in the screen...
pookie

Just don't try to choose by sticking a pin in the screen...

Rolling Eyes Laughing
sean

I've got: Northern Monkey Girl, colour it green, mochyn, Nell Merionwen, cir3ngirl and Wigan Pixie's photos so far. Any more for any more? pookie

A couple of people haven't opened their reminder pm yet, so possibly.

They have until midnight tonight Smile
Ren

I know we have until midnight but is there ANY chance of an extension until tomorrow night?

I did Have to go out with work visitors last night and am supposed to be training tonight......

I did wake up at some ungodly hour this morning with my idea firmly in my head, but am suffering from lack of sewing machine (and energy and ...)
pookie

I know we have until midnight but is there ANY chance of an extension until tomorrow night?

I did Have to go out with work visitors last night and am supposed to be training tonight......

I did wake up at some ungodly hour this morning with my idea firmly in my head, but am suffering from lack of sewing machine (and energy and ...)

I guess we can wait just one more day.....I think you may be the last one, so as soon as you've finished send your pic to Sean please Wink
Nell Merionwen

Could Ren enter a previously made pin cushion? I know she has photos! Ren

Could Ren enter a previously made pin cushion? I know she has photos!

I had thought of that Wink
pookie

Could Ren enter a previously made pin cushion? I know she has photos!

I had thought of that Wink

Blimey.....2 rules and you want to bend both of them Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Ren

pesky payg fone - just logging in to topup, then picture will be sent....

if it's still allowed Smile
pookie

might as well, Sean is at work and says he will post all the pics later Smile Ren

topped up and sent Smile

thanks
pookie

I'm getting excited now Very Happy Ren

No need on my account Smile pookie

Laughing Sally Too

Had planned a slightly jokey pincushion.... won't get the pic up tonight.... Never worry. I look forward to seeing all the others.. Smile sean

I've not got Ren's either. I'll leave it until tomorrow afternoon and then sort out what I've got and post them. sean

No sign of Ren's. Shall I just post what I've got? Nell Merionwen

No sign of Ren's. Shall I just post what I've got?
hold on I'll skype her. If she is using the existing photo I could send it to you...
Nell Merionwen

she is re sending it now. Ren

email sent let me know if there is aproblem Ren

damn seems I topped up fone for nothing!!! Smile sean

Send it in a sensible format. Wink Ren

Send it in a sensible format. Wink

Who knew my fone wouldnt send a jpeg???? Shocked
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Home Home Array Home Array