Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
robkb

A question about Alexanders

Can somebody confirm if they're biennial? And if so, can someone tell the ones on my allotment...

Back in summer 2010 I sowed some seeds at home and promptly forgot about them. In spring 2011 I found them and planted them out, but apart from forming lots of foliage they didn't do anything so I hoed the tops the off and planted other stuff in their place.

However, in spring 2012 the re-appeared in the same place. Again they ddn't flower, so I ignored them until they died back. But this year not only has the foliage come back, but they've all sent up whopping great shoots and started flowering!

So why is a biennial plant acting like a perennial, seemingly spending a couple of years building up a root system and then flowering? Confused
vegplot

Ours come up every year probably self seeded as by its definition it should die back after the second year. We spend time every year trying to eradicate the things but they keep coming up. Our local hedgerows are overgrown with the stuff. Maybe we should get a horse.
robkb

Yep, they're supposed to self-seed and come up every year. I just can't understand why mine are doing that when it's taken them 3 years to flower!
sean

Re: A question about Alexanders

So why is a biennial plant acting like a perennial, seemingly spending a couple of years building up a root system and then flowering? Confused

'Cos they're worried that every time they poke their heads up someone hits them with a hoe?
robkb

Re: A question about Alexanders

'Cos they're worried that every time they poke their heads up someone hits them with a hoe?

Laughing Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home