Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
woodland_wilf

A short questionnaire on foraging for my dissertation

Hello I am a student studying Countryside Management at Aberystwyth University, and as part of my dissertation I am conducting a study to look at people’s activity involving foraging and the use of wild plants. Would you mind helping me by answering a few questions?
I guarantee that all of your answers will be completely confidential.
questionnaire can be found at: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/16txfzbiqPqem2hjshB12x5mctvpcbafOMEEGYeEZwJU/viewform

thank you soo much for your time
sean

Hello. Good luck with your dissertation. Smile
Jamanda

Hi Wilf. I studied Environmental biology at Aber a very long time ago. Pleased to help out with your survey.
Nick

Welcome! Yo should look up Mary Jane Horgan at aber. She'll buy you coffee and chat about stuff.

Good luck.
Went

Done - interesting project.
AnnaD

Done Smile
Sally Too

Ditto... however there is no option for totally rural - ie not living in a village. That's what I ticked - perhaps it means nearest settlement size?
catbaffler

Hello Smile Done.
sean

Ditto... however there is no option for totally rural - ie not living in a village. That's what I ticked - perhaps it means nearest settlement size?

It's got 'village/no urbanisation', presumably he's grouping them together.
Cathryn

Completed, it would be interesting to hear more about your results sometime?
Jamanda

Completed, it would be interesting to hear more about your results sometime?

I was thinking that too.
woodland_wilf

Thank you so much for your help and and for peoples continued replies
once I have finished my dissertation and and handed it in etc. to uni I will post a link to the completed project so that those interested can take a look

Thanks again for your time in giving me answers to my questionnaire
Hairyloon

You are aware that your sample will be skewed. Jamanda

Thank you so much for your help and and for peoples continued replies
once I have finished my dissertation and and handed it in etc. to uni I will post a link to the completed project so that those interested can take a look

Thanks again for your time in giving me answers to my questionnaire

Thank you. It will certainly be interesting. I did my first ever fungal foray with a mycology lecturer called Dr Theakston. I doubt he's still there.
woodland_wilf

You are aware that your sample will be skewed.

I also have links to this survey posted in other places and so have received some results from people who haven't foraged and then some from people who have only foraged blackberries while they were children

so although using this forum as a group of people to survey could skew my results, it has meant I have received more in depth answers and has received more people willing to complete the questionnaire due to it being of interest to them

but thank you for your input it's something I can discuss in my write up
12Bore

Done, and good luck! Ty Gwyn

I have filled in a few surveys by students over the years,

But this is the first that has asked for confirmation,of education,marital status and income range,

What have these to do with the info you require for your dissertation?
Nature'sgrafter

The survey was interesting but a little limited I live on an Island north of orkney and some of my answers don't really fit. However good luck. woodland_wilf

But this is the first that has asked for confirmation,of education,marital status and income range,

the main reason for those questions is to compare foraging activity between people from different ways of life and those questions provide me with some different groups of people to compare
its just to give me more options for analysis when I get to that point having more information than I need now is better than finding I don't have the information if needed later

but thank you for your view
Treacodactyl

the main reason for those questions is to compare foraging activity between people from different ways of life and those questions provide me with some different groups of people to compare
its just to give me more options for analysis when I get to that point having more information than I need now is better than finding I don't have the information if needed later

Do they need to be compulsory though? Some of the questions will put people off answering it so your results may not be what you think. For example, you may conclude people who's income is over £50k don't forage when actually they simple don't fill in your questionnaire as they don't want to answer your question.

You also seem to be missing a category for civil partnerships (add to married?) and I thought you need another for gender these days?
Green Rosie

Done - I also agree that some of the questions about income should not be compulsory and you need to add widowed to the marital status. woodland_wilf

Do they need to be compulsory though? Some of the questions will put people off answering it so your results may not be what you think. For example, you may conclude people who's income is over £50k don't forage when actually they simple don't fill in your questionnaire as they don't want to answer your question.

You also seem to be missing a category for civil partnerships (add to married?) and I thought you need another for gender these days?

thank you for this feedback will edit the form to remove them from being compulsory and add those options
Jamanda

Laughing You can't expect this lot just to fill in the darn questionaire! - they have to have an opinion on everything! But be careful - there's as many different opinions as there are Downsizers. Hairyloon

there's as many different opinions as there are Downsizers.
No, I think there are more...
Treacodactyl

Laughing You can't expect this lot just to fill in the darn questionaire! - they have to have an opinion on everything! But be careful - there's as many different opinions as there are Downsizers.

Just being helpful, a valid response would be to say why they want to ask the questions or to say it's too late to make changes but they'll note comments for next time etc, etc. It's been a while since I did my course though.

For future reference Wilf , the text boxes could be bigger and have you thought about roots (I expect it's too late to make changes now)? Things like pig nuts, burdock, horseradish etc are often foraged for roots.
gil

Done. dpack

done

and hello
Mafro

Completed, and good luck robkb

Done. Good luck with the dissertation. Dabinett

Done. Good luck. lyndsayfink

hey there, I hope I wasn't too contrary when I filled it in but I found the 'suggestions' waaaaay to limited and not able to capture a true picture of my attitudes and practice.

Also, the section on knowledge was not helpful as I would have thought most people with do a bit of many (ie some things they will know, some things they will check in a book, some things they will ask a person who they know is more expert etc).

Sorry to be critical but I' like to help but really don't like having my thoughts pushed into boxes that don't cover it all.

(Also, is the male/female/transgender the appropriate categorisation? I would have thought that lumping trans*woman and trans*man into a kind of non-gender is not so great. Not being a survey writing person I know nothing of the conventions but it seems a bit clunky. It's worth remembering that a trans*woman is a woman and a trans*man is a man. Sorry for the aside question here but it was one of the things that struck me on going though, I don't fill in many surveys so getting the most from the experience! Smile )
Mithril

Done - good luck with it Smile woodland_wilf

for those wanting to see the results of the questionnaire a spreadsheet containing the results can be found at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsyhexC9ff0hdEFSV3FXYnF4SDY0MGo0M1lHREhqcXc&usp=sharing

and once my dissertation has been completed, handed in and returned to me I will be happy to provide a link to it so that people browse it if they wish too

cheers again for all the responses
Jamanda

Thanks for that Wilf. I'll go and have a look! And I'd certainly be interested to see the final report.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home