Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Nell Merionwen

a step backwards but in the right direction

I am spending the day researching a day in the life of a variety of local trades to the area I now live in.
I don't suppose welsh traditions would be of much use to historical interpretation in Derbyshire.
Has anyone any ideas where I should look for basic info?
Ideas of trades?
Also, does anyone know of any heritage sites around here that I could be plying my trade?
sally_in_wales

look up a few addresses in well known streets that still exist locally in the different census records, you might find some named characters to base your impressions on, always nice to have links to actual ordinary people.

Ultra fast overview of Derby through the ages for starters, you could do worse than develop a character for each main historic period here
http://www.localhistories.org/derby.html

Derbyshire museums overview, send your brochure to each of them one you have it sorted
http://www.visitderbyshire.co.uk/places_to_visit-2-30-0-1.ihtml Very Happy
Luath

Derbyshire - railways , textiles (wool and cotton), nail making in Belper
Nell Merionwen

don't forget the potteries.
I'm thinking Mill worker, Pottery worker, Wife of common mill worker, Life in service, Life in a colliery, Wife of a mill overseer,/Millowner, Schoolteacher, shop worker. That's just the 18th and 19th century.
BahamaMama

Blue John mining - Matlock area

Lots of plague stories too, esp Eyam (sp?)
alice

The industry I always associate with Derbyshire is limekilns.
Liz in Ireland

Bakewell puddings!
evie2

Chesterfield museum might be useful for ideas also Arkwright Mill at Cromford. Bolsover Castle and Hardwick Hall have living history/ re enactments through out the year from Roman to 20th century. The Heights of Abraham (more than Blue John was mined in Derbyshire) might be worth a look around for ideas (it's also a great day out for the family) and the spa towns of Matlock and Matlock Bath. Chesterfield has Medieval Markets with stalls etc.
Cathryn

Street names can be very interesting.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home