Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Rob R

A vegetarian option from Rosewood Farm

We've finally reconciled the idea of eating less meat with our all grassland farm. The Meat Free Monday Box from Rosewood Farm provides everything you need to buy less and pay more for the grassfed meat you do (or don't) eat.
Behemoth

Laughing
dpack

Laughing

brilliant,we need to get that viral.
Rob R

Never let it be said that I don't listen to the people - I just hope now that those that have called for eating less meat are prepared to support this. I've been struggling to reconcile the idea of eating less meat yet somehow devoting more resources towards looking after the animals and the land better. Who knows, if enough people get behind it, I might even be able to go completely slaughter-free. Smile
dpack

i hope not ,the steers are delicious but i spose "renting"moos to vegan wildlife fans could be a nice earner to pay for beef with.

is it mardi gras and the world is upside down ? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Hairyloon

You might want to think about offering different sized boxes. That one struck me as both rather expensive and not nearly dear enough...
Rob R

You might want to think about offering different sized boxes. That one struck me as both rather expensive and not nearly dear enough...

Thanks. 'Tis done, cheaper options added. Though you can buy as many as you wish if they're too cheap.
Hairyloon

Thanks. 'Tis done, cheaper options added. Though you can buy as many as you wish if they're too cheap.
I was thinking you need the super deluxe box for the connoisseur, perhaps without twice as much meat? Or maybe without the very finest selected cuts?
Rob R

I was thinking you need the super deluxe box for the connoisseur, perhaps without twice as much meat? Or maybe without the very finest selected cuts?

What, like a velvet lined owl box?
Nick

If it's not included, you can offer gold plate and mithril. dpack

the ultra deluxe roasts package could not include butler to not carve and without waiters to not serve . Hairyloon

We could go up a whole other level and not go truffle hunting so that we don't have some truffles to not put in the box... Tavascarow

I'm surprised you aren't at least supplying a container of Bull S*** as a condiment. It would go well with all that fresh air.
Laughing
Rob R

I forgot to mention the fresh air! Tavascarow

Knowing how tight your average Yorkshireman is I'm amazed you aren't asking for the box to be sent back. Rob R

You didn't read the smallprint, then... Mistress Rose

Like that Rob. Good luck with it. We had small packs of Rocking Horse dung as a stocking filler for Christmas one year, but it didn't do very well. chez

I'm not entirely sure that poking fun at people who choose not to eat meat is a good marketing strategy. Surely it's like politicians negative campaigning? The way you manage your herd on the landscape that you have surely stands for itself without this? Other landscapes do not support animal production. We live in a varied world. Hairyloon

I'm not entirely sure that poking fun at people who choose not to eat meat is a good marketing strategy...
He is making a serious point. The vegan police will take anything that doesn't comply with their absolutism as an attack, so we might as well have some fun with it.

Really though, to make the point properly, the meat that doesn't go in the box ought to stay on the cow and if there are enough boxes to make a whole cow then the cow should stay in the field...
dpack

that is ok if the stayer is a girl or a useful bull ,the steers or young bulls need to go before a "chillingham culture" develops and all interaction has to be done from inside a solid vehicle . Ty Gwyn

[quote="Chez:1458174"]I'm not entirely sure that poking fun at people who choose not to eat meat is a good marketing strategy. Surely it's like politicians negative campaigning? The way you manage your herd on the landscape that you have surely stands for itself without this? Other landscapes do not support animal production. We live in a varied world.[/quote

As a livestock farmer myself,i agree with you Chez,it only alienates you.
Rob R

I'm not entirely sure that poking fun at people who choose not to eat meat is a good marketing strategy. Surely it's like politicians negative campaigning? The way you manage your herd on the landscape that you have surely stands for itself without this? Other landscapes do not support animal production. We live in a varied world.

I haven't intended to poke fun at anyone. I focussed on the way we manage the land and as far as I knew, haven't said anything negative about others - which bits do you mean?

I'd like to think that the results stands for themselves but so many people don't have a connection with food production that they don't make the connection so talking about it & explaining the connection is vital. I've had positive comments from a food-based group with many people who knew food but didn't realise that there's more to farming than food.
Rob R

Really though, to make the point properly, the meat that doesn't go in the box ought to stay on the cow and if there are enough boxes to make a whole cow then the cow should stay in the field...

I was hoping that was implied from the not wanting to kill them but still make a living bit, but maybe I was being too subtle. I've just had so many comments recently that we only do it for the hell of it and I've offered to run a no kill policy, but like the 'pay more eat less' crowd, they don't seem to do it unless there's an option for it.
dpack

there is a lot more to farming than food ,some great like your works and some not so great such as the palm oil plantations and soya prairies made from forest(other bad aspects are available both large and small scale). Hairyloon

I was hoping that was implied from the not wanting to kill them but still make a living bit...
I suppose it is, but I thought it was a joke: a serious point made through comedy...
Since it is serious though, I am moved to question whether it is truly vegan if you are keeping cows to not put in the box: as I understand it, veganism prohibits any use of animals...

I know of some vegans on t'internet I can put the question to if you'd like?
There is a chance it might spark a row, but I'm prepared to take that risk for the sake of research. Wink
Rob R

One vegan suggested just keeping the cows alive and using glamping to earn the money but I found a lot of glamping locally that wasn't connected to cattle keeping so they seemed to have an immediate competitive advantage, so I dismissed the idea. Another suggested that providing the animals weren't exploited, it was fine with him, so I was going along those lines. Another lady wishes to support wildflower meadows, so I thought it'd be a way to do that. Vegans aren't really my target market though, it's more for those people actively choosing to eat a bit less and pay more for it, welfarists, environmentalists, conservationists, etc. I think they're more likely to support it.

It wasn't meant as a joke, as such, but a lighthearted way of discussing an important issue which I hope people who eat meat but don't know/care about the complexities of the issues could be introduced to it in a way that might actually be read.
Hairyloon

Vegans aren't really my target market though...
No, I don't suppose they are, but some of them can be a bit militant so I was concerned that your use of their word might land you in trouble.
I would agree absolutely that it should be fine if no animals are exploited: that is the rational and reasonable position, but when it comes to militant vegans, rational and reasonable need not apply...
Rob R

I wouldn't advise poking a wasps nest, neither. I think we should just put the whole vegan side of this debate to bed and concentrate on the masses.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home