Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Cathryn

A whole hoggett

Suggestions please on the nicest way to cook a whole sheep. Spit roast, barbecue? The party's not here so a pit in the garden won't work.
sean

Spit roast I reckon if you're wanting to keep it in one piece.
dpack

last time i did a whole one i slow spit roasted it ,to make sure all was cooked and none was burned it took about 15 hrs over a slow burning trench fire of good charcoal
it needs a bit of attention re basting to keep it sealed and turning for the obvious reasons.it looks good but the methods below are far better

if i was doing another as a whole unit i might consider using a knife and turning it into a huge all sheep donner kebab(herbs are a nice idea) on a spit which would cook quicker and more evenly and divide more equally.(the fillets belong to the cutter/cook Wink )

or for an easy life i would do it as below

sectioned into 2legs , 2shoulders ,2middles and cooked in a big bbq with a lid (keep the coals fairly slow and well spread,turn and shuffle the lumps every 15 mins ).
it only takes a few hours from lighting to munching (again fillets belong to chef Wink Laughing )
Cathryn

Easy life sounds good! Smile
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Can you get hold of one of those oil-drum-sized BBQs? Do it almost American style (slow, covered, maybe smokey?)
Cathryn

Almost certainly and if I can't, I suspect that there will be far too many volunteers up for making one!
dpack

if making an oil drum bbq remember to put a few holes that can be open or shut in the lower section and at least one in the top.

with a sheep there will be dripping fat so beware backdraft fire when opening the lid
wellington womble

You're welcome to borrow mine if logistics can be managed. When's it for?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home