Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
wildwoods

Abbatoir experience

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:14 pm Post subject: Slaughterhouse experience

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It wasn't our first time, we've been many times before, but with the FMD requirment to clean vehicles onsite and the wet weather it was mayhem!

I kill my pigs for meat, but I expect them to be treated with some dignity and TLC even at the end. My pigs were treated ok because I'm of the age where I'll take on any man and boy who thinks that they're going to bully my pigs out of the trailer and into the abattoir - eye contact is a bit 'don't mess with me or mine' They laugh at me, but I don't care.

Unfortunately there was one 1st timer who didn't know what to expect and they pulled his pigs out by the ears screaming and squealling., A couple of the regulars were obviously hacked off enough with the wait and the weather that they let there's go this way too.

I know it was busy, wet, miserable for us - but what's more miserable than a pig coming out of a trailer in a strange place after a long wait and then being treated like that?

Sorry, soapbox away now, but had to get it out of my system.

Thank you if you read my rantings and agree - If you don't think I have a point then come on over and I'll pull your ears off!!!.
sally_in_wales

I'm with you on this, I've never had to take an animal to the abbatoir myself but there is no excuse for causing more distress than necessary
AnneandMike

Animals for food should always be treated with dignity - especially at the time of slaughter. It is simple humanity. You are right.
tahir

I've been twice now and both times it went really well, at both ends. I'd hate to see anything like that happen
Marionb

Totally agree with you wildwoods. After you've reared your animals with kindness and care, the last thing you want is to see them being treated harshly right at the very end.

Reminds me of when I was a kid. We used to have a really tame bullock (I called him Benjy Very Happy ) he was so quiet I could jump on his back and he would amble along quite happily with me riding him (can you tell I was desperate for a pony so made do with the next best thing Laughing ) Time came he had to be sold so I went to the market with him. He was a real dear, so quiet he wouldnt hurt a fly. He was naturally nervous at the market and wouldnt go in the ring, so they were whacking him with sticks and shouting at him to get him in the ring, poor Benjy just couldnt understand what was going on. It still upsets me to think about it now Crying or Very sad
Rob R

That's the reason I don't buy/sell at auction.
dpack

quite
judith

I'm usually pretty close to tears at the abattoir as it is - that sort of handling would send me over the edge. As you say, they deserve to be treated with dignity right to the end.
lassemista

My recent first time experience was a good one, but it was very quiet. I lifted the kids out of the back of the truck into a pen. The deed was done within 3 minutes. I don't know what I would have done if anyone had been rough.
Andrea
bingo

Not really a rant, just an observation on how animals should be treated.

Well said.
Becki

Totally agree, I've never taken an animal to slaughter but they deserve to be treated with respect.
RichardW

lassemista wrote:
I lifted the kids out of the back of the truck into a pen. The deed was done within 3 minutes. Andrea

Which slaughter house does kids & will they take them as teenagers? I have a few that need sorting out Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Justme
lassemista

I know that feeling!!!
Bit far for you.
NeathChris

The place we use is always excellent, go there twice a week now and they are always great.

No excuse for mistreatment.
chris
RichardW

lassemista wrote:
I know that feeling!!!
Bit far for you.

But well worth it.......

Justme
Becki

Please tell me where it is!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1