Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
sally_in_wales

Absinthe tomatoes--drooool

Yummy, just celebrating the birth of a friends baby with a special dinner, and we've got absinthe tomatoes as a salad. Just in case any of you havent tried these, its a mix if halved cherry tomatoes and sundried tomatoes, lightly drizzled with oil and real absinthe (gotta be the real stuff, not that sweet yukky spermarket stuff), all mixed into homegrown lettuce. Seriously yum. Just a tiny sprinkle of absinthe really makes a tomato dish, though we don't do it often. yumm yummm yummmm
Treacodactyl

Re: Absinthe tomatoes--drooool

sally_in_wales wrote:
real absinthe (gotta be the real stuff, not that sweet yukky spermarket stuff)

So is there a brand I should look out for and where do I look out for it?
sally_in_wales

Hard to say, we get given occasional bottles of proper old fashioned absinthe but it has no obvious makers brand on it, but that lurid green stuff in the supermarkets aint it. We have bought a number of brands over the years and usually the more understated the colour the better it seems to be- I suspect the continentals get a better range than we do.however, for putting on tomatoes have ago with whatever you have access to, its that rich, bitter wormwoody note combined with the anise that works so well on them.
Treacodactyl

sally_in_wales wrote:
We have bought a number of brands over the years and usually the more understated the colour the better it seems to be

Just like most things. I made my own creme-de-menthe a few months back and comparing the colour to a shop one. Shocked
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home