Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
madcat

Advice for a new spinner please.

I've just started out, I've started to get reasonable results from the drop spindle but still haven't made the leap from park and draft to proper suspended spinning yet.
I just got a spinning wheel last week and initially struggled to get to grips with keeping pedalling while drafting but have got a bit better than that. I've made a three bobbins of linear lumps , I'm not doing too good on drafting yet but I keep practicing.

Has anybody any good advice and tips they can pass on which will help me along the way.
I'm committed to daily practice.
sally_in_wales

some people find it useful to attach a ball of scrap yarn to the wheel and practice pacing that in steadily to help get the feel of how much treadling = how much take up. It can be useful to get your hands and feet working at the right speed so that you can use all your brain for drafting
Finsky

Just like working with spindle..it is easier to draft the fibers if you first loosen tops or rowing by stretching the 'bundle' bit thinner(pre-drafting)...you get less lumps and the wool will flow through bit more freely. And as it comes out of your hand that holds the fiber..spread the fibers ,even by poking the finger through..making the fibers to part (maybe not quite as drastically if very short fibers)
You'll be able to see the fibers drafting and you have better control how much you let though your fingers.
That was something what helped me to get more even results...I just wish there would have been somebody to advise me..had to find it out by trial and error.. Rolling Eyes Almost every different lot of wool I handle..I have to find a way drafting that suit that particular type.
Lot of is just down doing is slowly and taking notice what you are doing at the time when you are achieving something that you like seeing..and that is the 'magic recipe'. Then you 'only' have to carry on same way through the bobbin...and the next one... Rolling Eyes If possible, don't keep too big break between each bobbin so you still have it in your muscle memory. Over time it all gets bit more automated and you just do it without much effort. Very Happy
Tavascarow

When I learnt to spin, I just sat & treadled with the tension off as slowly & consistently as possible whilst watching the telly or reading a book.
When you can do that without thinking then's the time to add the wool.
dpack

good spinning needs good carding
Mistress Rose

When I was teaching spinning, I always got people to learn the drop spindle first, then learn how to treadle the wheel evenly, then put the two together. Go along with all the comments the others have made too.

One thing is that lumpy wool is fashionable, so even if you are not satisfied with it, you can knit a fashionable scarf or something with it. Very Happy
Midland Spinner

good spinning needs good carding

yup, preparation is key.

I've had people claim that they 'can't spin' because what they've been using is sticky, dirty unwashed fleece - give them a bit of prepared tops or a well made rolag and they are immediately much better at it.

Learning to card properly is an art as well.
wellington womble

I never could get the hang (har har) of a drop spindle. I get reasonable results from the wheel, especially if I get an sensible amount if time to practice. That reminds me, I must do some plying.
Mistress Rose

I actually learnt drop spinning without carding as we were doing reconstruction archaeology of the Iron Age when cards were not thought to be used. We used to tease the wool out between our fingers until it was 'like a cloud'. I have found that a good way to deal with raw fleece is to put some in warm water and allow it to soak, then drain and change the water. It gets rid of the dirt, but leaves enough grease in the wool to spin easily.
madcat

I love the feel of slightly greasy wool, I have been given a washed fleece which I have been combing with a metal pet comb and spinning . This has been the most successful so far.
I'm struggling with keeping the wheel going evenly, it has a definite desired to go backwards and naturally stops in the worst place. I find I can keep it moving better on the fast ratio.
I tried merino top, a bit of yucky salmon pink that came in a bag of botany lap waste. This is a disaster, I keep getting the twist into the bulk of it. I did better if I carded it into some of the proper locks off the fleece.
I don't think my carding is up to much yet to be honest.
I love Herdwick top, I'm spinning my way through 400g of it on the drop spindle but am going to try it on the wheel soon.
I haven't tried plying yet, I'm a bit worried about it. I did practice on some nasty reclaimed slime coloured acrylic but haven't plucked up the courage to try on my yarn yet.
madcat

Thanks for the suggestions I will try to put them into practice.
Finsky

Merino wasn't easy wool for me to start with and would not recommend it for learning.
It took for while for me to adjust my spinning for dyed merino...for some reason it just doesn't want to 'flow' from my fingers.
It wasn't until I pulled the tops very loose continuous 'sausage' Rolling Eyes Laughing ..that I was able to spin it with nice results.
Unlike BFL...ohhhh...so nice to spin..it almost spin itself when you show the wheel for it.. Laughing
Herdwick was one of the first wools that I was able to spin with nice results...and the loving 'relation ship' still continue...I love the texture Very Happy
Mistress Rose

Sounds as if you perhaps need to practise with the wheel and no yarn a bit to get the even rhythm. Plying is not difficult; you just go backwards. You do need to have the yarn on a two spools on a lazy kate, or otherwise kept in order though. Try to keep the rate of feed through constant, and perhaps just try a bit first to see if you are over or under spinning.

Keep going, you will get there.
madcat

I think I will try just treading for a bit before starting to spin any more fibre.
Thanks for the replies , please wish me luck.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home