Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
mrsnesbitt

Advice needed - kitchen remodelling

I know many of you here have undergone house renovation projects so I wondered if anybody could help us here - it is many years since we did any major DIY stuff.

We are about to embark on remodelling our house - kitchen is first.
Jobs to be done are :-

Replace spotlights with modern flush lights - forget the proper name but the type you see all over.
Replace window with french doors
Replace rear patio doors with door and window (allowing for more worktop space)
Modify current solid pine kitchen units - paint
Replace current solid fuel Aga with electric one
Knock a hole in ajoining wall for a door
Replaster all walls and ceiling

Question is - which order to do this project?
Any help/guidance appreciated
Went

Building work, electrics, re-plaster, cosmetics...
mrsnesbitt

Thanks Gawber - this more sensible?

Knock a hole in ajoining wall for a door
Replace window with french doors
Replace rear patio doors with door and window (allowing for more worktop space)

Replace spotlights with modern flush lights + any electric work (sockets etc)

Replace current solid fuel Aga with electric one + Modify current solid pine kitchen units (these will have to be re-sited when Aga + cooker are removed

Replaster all walls and ceiling

- paint
Dee J

Electrics tend to need doing in a couple of sessions... before plastering.... 1st fix- wires and back boxes (leaving wires disconnected / dead. Then after plastering and painting ....2nd fix - install frontplates, light fittings, making live.

Many customers find standard downlights give a poor light spread, and end up having silly numbers of lights. I know of one larder room with 12 downlights - 600watts of lighting - and it still seems gloomy.

A new product I've had some success are these...
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/Lighting_Kitchen_Index/Cabinet_Lights_Low_Energy/index.html
the outer ring is removeable to allow flush fitting in ceilings etc. These have a much better spread of light.

Also factor in upgrades to fusebox and earthing that might be required before new circuits can be installed.

Don't know who is doing your work... but outside windows and doors, and new kitchen electrics are all building regs notifiable - so make sure you get all the right bits of paperwork or you may have problems later.

Dee
mrsnesbitt

Thanks DeeJ - very useful points re building regs.
D
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home