Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome
MadHatter

Advice needed

Hi, I'm new to the forum, we're thinking about moving to the middle of nowhere and this looks like a good place to get some advice. We currrently live in South Wales and we're looking to move West to Carmarthenshire. We have three boys - 3, 5 and 8 which is a big reason for moving to the country. They have a lot of energy and we have a tiny back garden. I am keen for them to understand where their food comes from and we'd like to keep a few chickens and grow some of our own veg. Mind you, it would be a sideline and as much for relaxation as putting all our food on the table. I have my own business making hats which I sell online as well as in boutiques and I would ideally like to buy somewhere that I could open a small shop selling my hats as well as other Welsh made stuff (jewellery etc). There is only one big downside which is that we will have to keep a (very) small flat in Cardiff for my husband to live in most of the week as he wouldn't be able to commute and he loves his job. The thought of that is making me a little nervous and it would be great to hear from other people in the same position. I'm sure there are others out there. All advice welcome!
sally_in_wales

Hi MadHatter, welcome from another hatter (I'm not far from you in Mountain Ash), there are several of us here Smile Would love to see some of your creations
jamanda

Hello there! We'd love to see some pictures of your hats. Do you have a website?

What sort of advice are you after? It might be worth breaking it down to some more specific questions and posting in the various sections.
MadHatter

Hi Sally, thanks for your reply, I used to work in Aberdare so I know your part of the world well. Am I allowed to put my website on or will I get done??
Nick

No-one gets done. Smile

We like people who turn up, talk, interact, and sell stuff.

We don't like people who spam with websites and adverts, and don't join in.

Smile

ps. Hello!
MadHatter

Guess its ok to put my website on then... http://www.catherinepovey.co.uk.
I suppose I'm looking for other people's stories on living in the country on their own with children while the other half is away. I think I'll be ok especially if I had a little shop with people popping in, shouldn't be too lonely. And school is always a place to make friends for the boys and for me Smile
MadHatter

Hi Nick, I was concerned about being a spammer! Should be cooking the boys tea now but feel I am getting addicted to this site already....
Nick

Nice titfers, even the ones that look like a bird strike. Smile
gardening-girl

Lovely hats!
Welcome from Somerset by the way.
sally_in_wales

I have a feeling we have met at some point, albeit probably fairly fleetingly. Nice hats Cool

One thing to bear in mind is that getting a place that works well for the domestic requirements may not be the right location for a shop, so you may need to consider whether your business will be fine as mostly online and gallery sales or whether you really need the day to day footfall of passing customers to make ends meet.
T.G

Hi there from the Peaks,

I live in the middle of nowhere albeit on the edge of a village, we have no shops, a pub that only opens when it feels like it and a hit and miss bus service, OH works away on and off and although it wasn't ever a problem before over the last decade or so, since having a new baby it's amazing how suddenly it brings into focus how remote we are even though we are not inaccessible.

The area is a hive of activity during the day with tourists, walkers, hikers and not being far from the main road but during the evening it’s like a ghost town, I find I can go several days without seeing anyone, physically. The other point that causes me concern now which never has before is the spend of medical response, ambulances tend to take up to 10 minutes to get here, which is a little disconcerting. It does make one ponder vulnerability issues and has made me reassess certain elements to daily living I’d taken much for granted.

So if you are planning on living in a completely remote area I’d weigh it up very seriously.

However, after typing all of thae above, the lifestyle, freedom from neighbours, the noise of a town and ability to garden in nothing but a smile if I so chose far outweighs the negatives. Laughing
MadHatter

Thanks all for the kind comments about the hats. Where do you think we met Sally? I'm intrigued...
I know what you mean about getting the right location. I have found a great place with small shop attached on an A road in West Wales and land at the back. There are touristy things in the area so I think a gallery/crafty shop would work there. On the other hand if I really can't stomach the road I might be better going more off the beaten track and selling my work in other places. We have to finish doing up our place before we can put it on the market and I know its all really slow so who knows when the move will happen...
sally_in_wales

Where do you think we met Sally? I'm intrigued...

not sure, but your pic looks very familiar on your site, and I have a feeling we spoke once about hatting in general. probably just in passing at something, I used to work for the museum and my OH works at Cosmeston, so its likely to just have been at an event or gallery or exhibition or something fairly locally.
Went

Hello and welcome from Asturias... Smile

No personal experience but there are people here in Asturias whose partners commute to the UK for work (mon to fri). It seems to work for them and their children but I understand it can feel a little isolated at times. It very much depends on the strength of your relationship as well as being true and loyal friends - as in any distant relationship there might be teething problems but if you are prepared to talk them through as they occur then later difficulties can be avoided.

Good luck with your ventures.....great hats by the way Very Happy
Went

Such good advice I said it twice - now deleted Wink
MadHatter

Hi T.G. thanks for your story, its exactly the sort of thing I need to think about. I thought I wanted to go completely remote (I totally get the naked gardening thing although I don't think my boys would approve Very Happy ) but as I'm going to be on my own a lot I have been thinking twice about it. And our eldest son has a nut allergy so the ambulance thing crosses my mind. Also, as I said I would need to be accessible for people to come and buy stuff if I have my own shop. Does this dream location in the middle of nowhere with hundreds of wealthy hatless people popping in when I need them exist???
sally_in_wales

Does this dream location in the middle of nowhere with hundreds of wealthy hatless people popping in when I need them exist???

If you find it, will you send anyone who wants felt or knitted hats to me once they have finished buying your lovelies Laughing
Katieowl

Hi MadHatter and welcome...from another of the West Wales downsizers....

If you care to share the A road location I'd be able to give you a better idea of your likely customer base.

There are some eye wateringly expensive ladies dress shops in these parts, but there is also a larger hard core of very broke people who don't have much need for a hat other than to keep the wind out!

There ARE quite a few craft shops dotted about, and I think you'd need to pick and choose your 'shop fellows' carefully. Also your location will need some kind of parking, which might seem a daft observation, but it can really put one off pulling over if there's no where obvious, and some of the main roads are very busy at 60mph - even though to the untrained eye it looks like a rural idyll.

One of the reasons we chose around here was that there did appear to be a lot of craft, as OH is looking to make and sell stuff, but we think the market is probably mainly tourist.

The infrastructure of schools, healthcare, shops all exists here, although it can be spread about a bit, I'd personally not be unduly worried about being a week-day single parent...but you might want to check out secondary schools and distances if your kids are of an age to be needing that soon. As your kids get older - you will be a taxi service in these parts, as the busses are sporadic ( Rolling Eyes ask me how I know?)

Main A&E from us is 1 hour drive in Carmarthen. We've had to sign up with a dentist in Aberystwyth...so an hour and 15 mins in another direction...he was the closest we found, and newly opened otherwise we might not have got with him either.

Moving out here was the best thing I did....I love it. None of the 'disadvantages' bother me. I've not got small kids anymore, but I've not found it difficult to make friends either.

Kate
Cathryn

There is money in Pembrokeshire, just a bit further South. Those hats look great fun! Katieowl

Yes Cathryn, that's what I was thinking....out towards Narberth!

Kate
Cathryn

Sorry, yes, and that's the name of the place I was trying to remember while writing the post. I keep meaning to go that way, I can't remember ever stopping there. Katieowl

I went earlier in the year, there are some lovely (skinny peoples) clothes shops and boutiques full of chi-chi stuff. Kath Kidson Rules. They also have a branch of Barbour. And a very nice deli/eaterie called ultracomidia, which moved from Cardigan to greener pastures.

I actually 'did' the whole high street with a couple of friends and we only bought food. I did not 'add to basket' at all - not that I didn't see anything I liked, I just wasn't moved to hand over cash, most of it was stuff I could 'do' for myself.

Kate
jamanda

There's an Ultracomidia in Aber too - very nice! Cathryn

We have ultracomida here. It's great and dangerous. I always spend a fortune in there so have to avoid it! Smile jamanda

There are advantages to only going to Aber once a year or so Laughing chez

Welcome wave

Living in the country with children and no friends locally whilst your OH works away is crap. But if you have a good friendship network, it's *much* more fun!
MadHatter

Hi MadHatter and welcome...from another of the West Wales downsizers....

If you care to share the A road location I'd be able to give you a better idea of your likely customer base.

Hi Katieowl, thanks for your reply, all very helpful stuff to consider. Here's the property that ticks a lot of boxes for me (hope you can open the link):

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32289140.html

It has parking, you are quite right that is essential, puts me off stopping if I have to faff about. Any comments would be most welcome.

here's another with potential but too expensive, we couldn't afford to buy it and do it up:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29574287.html

I understand your point about choosing shop fellows. I have quite a few connections with designers here in South Wales who I would be keen to take with me as well as developing links with local people.

At the moment I have people coming to me from West Wales to make them hats, usually mothers-of-the-bride etc but I wonder if people from Cardiff would travel to West Wales for a hat so I would probably lose that side of the business. However, I do sell worldwide through the website so no reason why that shouldn't continue.

The whole healthcare thing is something to consider. I am used to having everything on my doorstep. I don't know how much I take that for granted. But it is all a matter of compromises and balancing the pros and cons.

Lots to think about, thanks everyone for all your help.
MadHatter

And I think somewhere near Narberth would be great, perfect for the selling hats point of view, I am looking round there. MadHatter

Where do you think we met Sally? I'm intrigued...

not sure, but your pic looks very familiar on your site, and I have a feeling we spoke once about hatting in general. probably just in passing at something, I used to work for the museum and my OH works at Cosmeston, so its likely to just have been at an event or gallery or exhibition or something fairly locally.

Very possible we've met, hopefully we'll meet again!
Ginkotree

Welcome to ds..lots to consider here but also consider that change will always persent the unexpexted....some good advicehere...good luck , you will know when it is Right... frewen

Hi - welcome to DS hello2

I am not a milliner, but if you have global sales from the web and can get a foothold in the smart areas of wales then IMVHO you have a go-er...

You may need to travel to London for profile sales - you will certainly need to think about family needs and ...at the risk of being very mercenary, people coming to you from around the country will be looking for more of an"experience".

A fab hat shop will be all the more a "go to" destination if people are getting fittings and fussing ...

does that make sense?

Of course it does Embarassed You seem to be doing just fine Cool

Good Luck - you'll be fab Very Happy
MadHatter

Hi Frewen, thanks for your reply. You're quite right, people want to be fussed over, I see people by appointment at the moment, they get lots of fittings and attention, its that kind of business. But it can be a little hollow and I am doing more art based work (no money at all in that!) and working on hats that are wearable everyday using recycled materials. Even though I am pretty busy and sell worldwide there's not a lot of money in it after materials and the time taken. And I am a rubbish business woman, I just like making stuff! Confused frewen

*shakes hands* - when you find the formula, let me know Wink

I am geared to the arts end (on purpose) - all arts is finally business as you know...

straddling the trad arts vs crafts is not an easy place to be... I think it's going to get harder...

Diversification I believe
Smile
MadHatter

Good to "meet" someone in a similar boat. Its a constant struggle between giving the punters what they want - bread and butter money and doing my own thing. Ho hum, I guess it always will be.

Great hat by the way Very Happy
frewen

The hat
gets bigger ...in the sideways horns department ! Laughing
earthyvirgo

Hi - welcome to DS hello2

I am not a milliner, but if you have global sales from the web and can get a foothold in the smart areas of wales then IMVHO you have a go-er...

You may need to travel to London for profile sales - you will certainly need to think about family needs and ...at the risk of being very mercenary, people coming to you from around the country will be looking for more of an"experience".

A fab hat shop will be all the more a "go to" destination if people are getting fittings and fussing ...

does that make sense?

Of course it does Embarassed You seem to be doing just fine Cool

Good Luck - you'll be fab Very Happy

I completely agree with Frewen. People who are buying 'art' whether it's visual art or high quality artisan 'craft' (I hesitate to use the word craft because I know it induces the shudders in some people) expect but respond positively to the personal touch.

I always, always acknowledge even the smallest card or print purchase online with a personal reply.
One has to go the extra mile.

Narberth, yep, excellent location. Some smart clothes/craft shops already. Can't think that I've seen a 'bespoke hat' shop. I could see it fitting in well.

Pembrokeshire on the whole is a bit more well off, up-market than the rest of west Wales. And of course it's not that far from Cardiff, which has it's fair share of artists and makers. And yes, people would have no problem travelling to you in West Wales from Cardiff.

gz knows a bit more about things that are going on in Cardiff as she's showing her ceramics at the rather smart Craft in the Bay gallery (hope I've got that right gz).

EV
MadHatter

Ooo Craft in the Bay, just down the road from me, great place, I know a lot of people who sell their work there. All very positive stuff, thanks everyone. chez

We were in Narberth a few weeks ago. It'd very arty and I can't remember seeing anything millinery-wise. Katieowl

I've had a look at both of those Madhatter, TBH I think they are both a bit off the beaten track if you were hoping to get passing trade, not just for your stuff but for a gallery?

Not sure if your customers would go that far to get bespoke from Cardiff, think the added incentive of being somewhere where there was 'something else' as a draw would be worth considering. I know Pembroke prices are a lot higher, but I think that would be much more the market you were hoping for. I don't know how well you know the Pembs area? I know the north end better, as it's close to us.

Might be worth a poke about to see if there are any wedding shops anywhere, and where they are. Llanelli has big shopping, but it's out of town retail park...

If a lot of your business is mail order, maybe checkout the post office facilities too? Don't want a 30 mile round trip to post something!

Kate
earthyvirgo

I've had a look at both of those Madhatter, TBH I think they are both a bit off the beaten track if you were hoping to get passing trade, not just for your stuff but for a gallery?
Kate

Quite rural in a not so positive way. Nice places but nothing much else there as Kate says. Talley has an amazing Abbey but that's about the only thing I can think of.

EV
gz

You need to apply to join the Makers' Guild to get into Craft in the Bay, I think it is annual selection in March.

I've got stuff in an open show, starting soon
http://www.makersguildinwales.org.uk/exhibitions/details/92-craft-in-the-bay-summer-show

Narberth sounds a good idea

Smile
Ty Gwyn

I know of both of them properties,the outside photos are very deceiving,the Pumpsaint property is set back off the road,but on the bend in the village,but there is a gallery just down the road,by the village hall,and its quite busy in the tourist season,due to the Dolau Cothi Gold Mines being just behind.

The Talley property has been empty for several years,and other than the Abbey ruins,there is nothing else there,even the pub has closed by the look of it.

Trouble with both of these properties,you have 3 market towns in similar directions,that have quite expensive Ladies shops,Llandeilo,Llandovery and Lampeter

But Pembrokeshire prices would be much higher i would imagine.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home