Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Mary-Jane

Advice on buying a storage container please

Gervase and I are going to be clearing out our barns for development (at last) and although a lot of stuff can be chucked/recycled/sold/given away etc, we still have the problem of what to do with the stuff that we need but haven't got a place for yet until the barns and the house are all finished.

We're looking into investing in a shipping container and although we're well aware that we can get a standard 2nd/3rd hand 20'x8' container for about £500 or so, we still have the problem of transporting it up here which would be expensive.

We've had an offer of a good condition 2nd-hand one locally, from someone we know well, for about £900, including delivery and VAT (which we can claim back as we're VAT registered).

Does that sound like a good deal? I have no knowledge of these things whatsoever and since we need to store things that must stay in good condition (furniture, books etc) I'm keen not to engage in a false economy and end up havig all our belongings ruined for the sake of saving a couple of hundred quid on a storage unit.

Any comments on experience welcomed and appreciated.
Went

We stored for a while during the relocation. The main issue is damp and airing your items - as dry as possible is a must and regular airing of the container seemed to help. Labelling boxes as well if you have smalls to store. If you go for a container it needs a decent clearance from the ground and away from trees (falling leaves that stay and rot on top).

And when you are done.....1001 uses for a container that size Wink

Commercial storage could also be an option and possibly cheaper depending on timescale - but check out insurances.
Rob R

Our neighbour has just bought a 44ft aluminium one for £1000- not sure if that includes delivery or not, but it is in very good condition.
Went

Just had a thought about books - not sure storage container would be suitable - Ask Bulgarian Lily - I think they have a books business and could advise on storage.
wellington womble

we hired one for our build - I'll ask himself how much it was.
Nick

Transport is the bit that costs. You can buy them with a guaranteed buy back for the same money, just pay the transport. So, look as close as possible.

eBay has a huge selection across the country, at all sizes.
Bernie66

Say that again
wipka84

We use containers to store files for seven years in and havent ever had a problem with damp.

Maybe we are just lucky but not had any damp, condensation, deterioration of papers, etc.
sean

wipka84 wrote:
We use containers to store files for seven years in and havent ever had a problem with damp.

Maybe we are just lucky but not had any damp, condensation, deterioration of papers, etc.

But you live in Essex with its arid, desert-type climate. M-J lives in Wales which is mainly famous for it raining a lot. And being misty when it isn't raining.
alice

Knowing how one's *stuff* expands to fill the available space my advice would be to get a 40' one. I'm sure I had a conversation with someone in the dim and distant who said 40 footers were less desirable so more bargainous Cool
toggle

it's a bit like that down here at times.

i've got my stuff in a container atm, I'm renting an 8x20 for 20 quid a week, i've literally fitted the contents of a 3 bedroom, 2 reception room house into it (plus a few fleeces) they are far bigger than you would think, as long as you don't forget the 8ft of height as well

it's dry as a bone inside, these thigns are designed to sit on boats, when the door is shut, they are fairly close to airtight. the bloke I rented mine off said the only time he's ever had people ahving an issue with stuff being damp is when they've loaded it while ti's been raining and there isn't enough airflow for it to dry out.
Nick

Try these?
Mary-Jane

Nick wrote:
Try these?

Precisely what we're getting as it happens. Very Happy
Gervase

alice wrote:
Knowing how one's *stuff* expands to fill the available space my advice would be to get a 40' one. I'm sure I had a conversation with someone in the dim and distant who said 40 footers were less desirable so more bargainous Cool

Very true - the 40-footers are actually cheaper second-hand than the 20 foot contianers, but they're absolute monsters.
And in our case a 20-foot box will encourage self-discipline when it comes to sorting out the clutter.
gillypep

Storage

M-J

I've used silica gel sachets to absorb any damp or condensation in a storage container. You could buy a few and just dot them around the unit, they are available in different sizes not just those tiny packets you get with your new shoes!

Gill
digit

I've got 4 shipping containers i use for storing building materials in,condensation is a big problem it's like having tin sheets on a roof of a garage you'll get drippers.I bought a back off a furniture van from a scrap yard a few weeks ago for £100 delivered, no condesation at all with it
Nick

These crates ship all over the world on ships. Near water, and under the sun. Carrying cheap consumer electrics in cardboard boxes. If there was an inherent issue it would have been spotted by now.
digit

A shipping containers can only be used a certain number of times in shipping and then a sold off for storage because they a no longer up to standard.In the past i've stored furniture in one for a year,i checked in side the container form time to time it seem ok,but when i came to empty it there was a lot of mildew on the furniture.At the end of the day its just a steel box with no insulation or heating so things will get cold and damp.
RichardW

Nick wrote:
These crates ship all over the world on ships. Near water, and under the sun. Carrying cheap consumer electrics in cardboard boxes. If there was an inherent issue it would have been spotted by now.

The thing is fill it once with nice dry new stuff then seal it is a bit different to fill it over a period of time with older poss damp stuff in a damp environment with all the extra damp air getting in each time you open the door. Its well documented fact that steel containers have major condensation issues.

You could soon dry line it with wooden boards or insulation panels.
bikebodger

Have you thought about a Lorry box?
They are cheaper than containers and usually made of GRP composite board with fibreglass translucent roof, so you get daylight in it - and less condensation.

I just bought one 27" long for £250, was off a 2004 Scania. All we had to do was remove it off the truck - 1/2 days work, as the co we bought it off had done preliminaries.
(Its easy with 4 45 gall steel barrels and air suspension... Very Happy )

And when you've finished with storage it make a good workshop or whatever, very sellable.

Look for local horsebox builders - that where I got this one from, they don't want the old body as they are building new from scratch.

And I got the mudguards, underrun bars and side markers to sell on Ebay. Sorted Laughing

There's also a lot of artic boxes around for sale and these are easier to move as well
Bulgarianlily

In the UK I would worry about dampness, we packed 30,000 books in fruit boxes and then put each box into a bin bag and sealed it, but then they didn't stay in the container for long, and the air is dry here. I will ask on a UK booksellers list for you. But I would have thought that the occasional use of a dehumidifier would solve the problem. You would have to make a cable access route of course.

You can get the silica gel bags from places that sell caravans. Which tells you something about living in a caravan!
Bulgarianlily

How do you get a 20 footer off the back of a lorry if you don't have a crane? something I have often pondered. I am talking about an empty one for storage.
bikebodger

The folks who deliver containers use trucks with a Hiab (crane) on the truck, and can lift it into position.
A 20ft container is not very heavy, 2 ton or so

These people sell silica gel in bulk at wholesale prices:
http://www.geejaychemicals.co.uk/
Bulgarianlily

Ah two tons? No problem then. The men in the village will probably just pick it up then! Amazing what the power of Rakia can do Laughing

Either that or they would just use a tipper truck and hope for the best. Shocked
vegplot

Mine cost £1,600 inc vat and delivery brand new from Royal Wolfe in Liverpool several years ago. £900 sounds like good value.

I can't recommend containers highly enough it doesn't suffer from condensation as the build quality is superb. Were going to wrap ours in timber and put a sloping roof on it so it looks like a building rather than a container.
kirstyfern

I'm looking eBay at the moment and got this info;

Thank you for your enquiry. Your quote is as follows:

1 x 20' A Grade Container £800
Delivery £160 (Offloaded and positioned with a HIAB)

+ Vat@17.5%

TOTAL £1,128

With this you have a £600 buy back option, anytime within a 5 year period. We will also collect the container free of charge.

These are the terms and conditions regarding the "buy back."

The container must be in the same location as we delivered.
The container must be clean and tidy inside and out.
The container must not be damaged and in a similar condition as when they were delivered.
The container must not have been modified.
If sprayed (painted), the container must be a neutral colour and be a single colour all over. The containers we deliver do not require a spray job.
The container must not be branded with business details when we collect.

When you are ready for us to buy back the containers we will ask for digital images inside and out. Once received we will pay the funds directly into your
bank account (please allow up to 1 week for payment).

We ask for a minimum of 1 months notice to collect the container so that we pick up on return jobs keeping our costs to a minimum.

Let me know your thoughts or if you have any questions please feel free to drop me a line or give me a call.

Kind regards,

John Duggan
Corten Containers Ltd
Tel: 0207 089 2610 Mob: 07772 97 2227 Fax: 0207 089 2606

www.cortencontainers.com
john@cortencontainers.com

- cortencontainersltd

I also asked about a 40' container;

No problem Kirsty,

You will get the same buy back option and your quote is:

1 x 40' A Grade Container £915
Delivery £230 (Container Offloaded and positioned with a HIAB)

+ Vat@17.5%

TOTAL £1,345.37

With hire costs around here around £7 a week for a 20' container then doing the buy with a buy back option seems good value to me.
kirstyfern

Other companies sell insulated containers for storing books and items that may get damp.

There is also a company on eBay selling dehumidifier sticks that you hang in the container, apparantly they last about 3 months.

There is also a paint that you can spray on the inside of the roof of a steel container that stops the condensation building up.

I have my hay in a steel shed and I just put it on pallets and allow air flow round the edges and that keeps it dry Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home