Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Mary-Jane

Advice on taking an exhibition stand at a trade fair...

...well, at the 'Green Horizons' Exhibition, which is part of the Royal Welsh Smallholders & Garden Festival weekend on 16th & 17th May.

We're thinking about it - Horgan & Webb that is.

Usually we just dismiss these things out of hand...but we want to start thinking about moving Gervase away from working on the building sites and towards being more of a consultant advising on traditional/green methods of restoring/renovating old houses. And this seems an ideal opportunity to begin that process.

So, has anyone got any particular advice on how to make a good impression on a trade stand please? Very Happy
gil

There was a thread I started about this somewhere, about a year ago, but I can't yet find it.

snozzer had some really useful tips

here
arvo

1) Nice bright lighting (I would say that though wouldn't I). Doesn't have to cost the earth - could be 150w halogen floods for £5 from B&Q, or maybe some kind of two wires kitchen low voltage thing to fit in with your green credentials.

2) A stand attractor - something no-one else has got, that's easy for you guys to do (preferably really hard for anyone else) and would cost as close to b*gg*r all as possible. For you guys is it possible to do something like a chunk of lime plaster wall or cob or wattle and daub? Maybe seating made out of strawbales and plastered to look like posh chairs? Something that would stand out to a passer-by but would be appropriate. The other bonus of something like that is that if you pick the right thing, it gives you a talking point straight away. (A company I used to work for sold flame retardants and did a nifty stand demo with a blow torch and a tissue.)

3) Maybe pretty blown up prints of stuff H&W have worked on that looks great, or a portfolio on the stand of same.

4) Pick a good pitch - get in early and ask for a plan of the show. Then ask for a good position. You want to be facing an entrance, a loo or a place where people congregate (show field, cafe etc).

5) Get a good banner/sign made up with your logo on it. (I'm sure you've already got one of these). If you get it made out of something durable you can keep using it. If its got your website address on it so much the better.

I'll keep thinking and add more stuff as I think.
Bulgarianlily

Print off customer contact sheets and have them on a couple of clipboards. Try to get something down onto them for everyone you talk to, if you get a business card from them staple it to one and then when you have five minutes jot down what you remember of the conversation. Have good handouts with various amounts of informtion on them, you don't want to give out your best expensive brouchure to every one, a simple one might be more appropriate. Better still is to give out a simple thing and offer to send out more info in a few days time, then your stuff arrives on their doorstep by itself, not buried in a heap of other brouchures in a carrier bag. Hand out free water if you want to give something away, people get thirsty at trade fairs! Be clearly identifiable as a stand member, so people know who to talk to. Don't eat on the stand, go for a walk with your sandwich. Think about how you will get the stand display in and out, we designed one that packed down into two wheeled display cases, with a carpet, lights and two chairs balanced on top, and just walked off at the end of the day with no wait to get our van into the queue for the loading bay. Ask if you are expected to make your stand secure over night, provide covers or anything else. Ask what will be on the floor. Mock up your stand at home first and make sure it works. Some organisers perfer all goods to be covered over. Make sure your insurance covers you. Wear really comfortable shoes. Remember that most people walk around trade shows and give maybe 2 or 3 seconds to each stand, that is the time you have to get your message across or get them interested enough to come and see what you are doing! Keep it clear and simple. Don't clutter.
Mary-Jane

Gosh - what brilliant ideas! Thanks so much everyone. Very Happy

I've 'done' quite a few fairs myself - but they've always been law-based ones. So I kind of know the 'basics'...but have never actually organised one for us before.

This is all so helpful...DS rises to the occasion again.
vegplot

When we started this business we ran seminars rather than doing trade stands.

We found small presentation rooms (hotels, conferences centres, local innovation centres in business parks) and negotiated the cheapest rates. We then advertised locally and contacted people we thought would benefit. The seminars were free so it got bums on seats and some of those bums become our customers, some still are.

Edit: We've done a number of trade stands and they can be productive. The important things to do is smile and be welcoming and happy. If you are able to have a supply of tea or coffee you can offer to genuine enquirers and a place to sit and talk.

There's a great video somewhere of how not to run a trade stand.
vegplot

Micrographics produce trade stand materials. They're based in Llandudno and very helpful. Ask for Mike Ormond.

http://www.micrographics.co.uk/
mochyn

LIGHTING.
BahamaMama

Make friends with the organiser, electrician etc - just in case you need to call in a favour at short notice. Take some cash - again, you can get little jobs done quickly and more cheaply for cash.

Stand discipline - it is a fine line between being attentive and jumping on prospective clients, I get really fed up if I have to wait for the stand owners to finish discussing last night's EastEnders before being served, it happens..... Rolling Eyes especially towards the end when you are exhaused and your feet are killing you.
Vic

Your best customer or best prospect will appear five minutes before closing time on the very last day, just as you are frantic to pack up and go home. This has happened on every stand I have ever worked on, whether it's been selling books or food or high-priced subscriptions... So stick a smile back on your face and be nice to them, even though you are desperate to get out of there!
bernie-woman

I always get attracted to those stands where I can have a good look at something and/or have a go at something - anyway you can make any of your stand interactive Very Happy
jema

I guess Professionalism is a key word when trying to get posh work.

Hard to define, but any small slip like not having a decent table will hurt you.
sal

Keep smiling, don't block your stand by standing in front with your arms folded across your chest as this sends the wrong signals. Ask questions that cannot be answered with a yes or no - difficult, but have some interesting intro questions prepared.
Bulgarianlily

How to start a conversation is a difficult one, I was once at a major toy fair as a buyer, when a man siddled up to me and whispered in my ear 'Are you interested in plush?'. I nearly smacked him one, until I saw the stand full of teddy bears behind him. Very Happy

Lily
tahir

bernie-woman wrote:
I always get attracted to those stands where I can have a good look at something and/or have a go at something - anyway you can make any of your stand interactive Very Happy

Agree, there was a firm doing cob at ecobuild, you could help mix the cob etc, they had loads of punters all day.
vegplot

mochyn wrote:
LIGHTING.

Arvo!
arvo

vegplot wrote:
mochyn wrote:
LIGHTING.

Arvo!

Thanks you two, the cheques in the post Smile
dpack

smile and enjoy
daubing wattle seems a fun interactive hook
set dressing and presentation
content and presence
make contacts rather than sell ,follow all leads later (close the deal there and then if it is a goodun Laughing )
bait em in with buns Wink
Went

Una chica guapa con una sonrisa seductiva y pasteles grandes Laughing Laughing
earthyvirgo

Keep it simple, but eye-catching.
A few large images works so much better (for me anyway) than loads of A4 bit's and pieces stuck on panels.

Be friendly and as someone else said, smile Smile

VegPlot and I went to Home Builder show last year and there was a distinct lack of hands-on stuff, just stand after stand of blokes in suits looking bored or texting away, so if you can do a demo of some sort, that's be perfect. The 'lime demo' Gervase did at the skill-sharing weeekend would be perfect (but possibly not practical in a show situation).

EV
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home