Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Cathryn

age and seed germination

I seem to remember a list on here of how long to keep seeds past their use by date. Can anyone help because I am struggling to find it.no smilies
earthyvirgo

Re: age and seed germination

I seem to remember a list on here of how long to keep seeds past their use by date. Can anyone help because I am struggling to find it.

I remember something about most things having a much longer shelf life than suggested on packets, unless the plant begins with P - hmmm, am I making that up? Don't think so.
I know Parsley struggles if it's not fresh seed.

EVno smilies
robkb

This article on the Real Seeds website is very useful:

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedlife.htmlno smilies
Cathryn

Thank you, interesting though, I found a list that contradicts that one in places. Not a seed companies either. I've chucked a lot. I planted a long pot of mixed leaves, none came up. :roll:no smilies
OtleyLad

Re: age and seed germination

I seem to remember a list on here of how long to keep seeds past their use by date. Can anyone help because I am struggling to find it.

I remember something about most things having a much longer shelf life than suggested on packets, unless the plant begins with P - hmmm, am I making that up? Don't think so.
I know Parsley struggles if it's not fresh seed.

EV

Except Peas - these will germinate well for years (I've used some at least 7 years old). Weren't some found in Tutankhamun's Tomb and they germinated?no smilies
Slim

Best practice is to keep seeds dry and frozen. Shelf life as written on the packet can be completely ignored under ideal conditions.

(not to say that they'll last indefinitely, but that the shelf life presumed will be completely inaccurate)no smilies
Piggyphile

I am certainly old and don't germinate as often as I'd like to....no smilies NorthernMonkeyGirl

Thank you, interesting though, I found a list that contradicts that one in places. Not a seed companies either. I've chucked a lot. I planted a long pot of mixed leaves, none came up. :roll:

Real Seeds encourages saving your own seed so I would trust their recommendations on storage times :)no smilies
Bebo

Old seed from umbellifers are notorious for not germinating. For carrots and parsnips I always buy fresh seed. Otherwise stuff lasts for much longer than suggested. I've sown 5 year old tomato seeds with reasonable germination rates.no smilies
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home