Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
karltt

Air rifle / best one to buy

Hi,
Can anyone recomend a decent air rifle. I'm looking at shooting pidgeon and rabbit.

Cheers Karl...
Pilsbury

and the first question you are going to get asked by those who know is what is your budget?
Brownbear

The first question I would ask is, is it really an air rifle you want? You could get a 12-bore shotgun and a rimfire rifle with a decent scope for the price of one of the higher-end precharged air rifles.
Old-Chads-Orchard

up to 250 I wouls say an Air Arms TX200 spring rifle, up to 400 and you are looking at an AA s400 pre charged rifle, check the link out in my sig. I stick to air rifles for bunny shooting as the shotty scares them away too much
dpack

i though spring guns were fine until i got the bsa pcp
quiet, no jump ,easy ,short ,not cheap but half the price of the scope that lets me see in the dark Laughing
save up and get a pcp gun they are ace
Old-Chads-Orchard

withstupid

Although springers are nice, if you get the right one
RichardW

dpack wrote:
i though spring guns were fine until i got the bsa pcp
quiet, no jump ,easy ,short ,not cheap but half the price of the scope that lets me see in the dark Laughing
save up and get a pcp gun they are ace

Yeh your right the diff is amazing. Just remember to budget for a pump and or a diving bottle as well. It adds quite a bit to the costs.

Richard
Old-Chads-Orchard

A bottle & gauge is 140, much better than a pump @ 120 ish

A place to drool http://www.airgunbuyer.com/
whitelegg1

Another vote for pcps.....

I have an AA S200, manages 40 good shots, before going of the boil!
Not the best shot count, but cheaper than a Daystate!!

Accuracy.....un-flippin-believable....

I have my targets at 30 yards in the garden....

Had not shot the rifle for a month or two..
Three shots to dial in the scope....

Then 5 shots trough the same hole Shocked

Try as I might, to repeat that feat with my venomised HW77k, is asking a lot!!! Possible, but only with a lot of practice!!!

Pete
A vote for the AA S200, with 10 shot adapter, good silencer and a bottle to fill it from, and a half decent scope as well.
willow1

I got a AA S410 Combine 10 shot lovely riffle silent and spot on, have not used it on rabbits as yet but spot on when shooting at targets
I have not got a bottle as yet so i get it filled at the dive shop fo a couple of pounds for now, which suits me at present

Cheers
ian1

I have a airarms tx200 hc that i love for the confidence it gives me whenever i line the cross-hairs up on a target , paper, bunny or bird .It can be a little weighty tho and cocking it can be fiddly when my fieldcraft has lead me to the middle of a thick hedge ! and for that reason alone i have been considering a pcp , never would get rid of the tx though .
whitelegg1

I feel the same about the HW77k, there is something special about a good shot with a springer.......not dissing the pcps, but good shooting with a beast of a springer is not easy....

DOES WORK THE BICEPS THOUGH!!!! Shocked

Pete Very Happy
RichardW

offroading.net wrote:
A bottle & gauge is 140, much better than a pump @ 120 ish

Untill your local dive shop closes & you cant get refills. Good job I went for both.

Oh & go for 300bar as the fills tend to cost the same or just slightly more but you get lots more fills per bottle. Pumps can be had for less than 100.

Richard
Old-Chads-Orchard

same goes for tanks too, got my 7litre 300 bar tank for 65 with full test.
Supprised you are short of tank fillers in your area
RichardW

offroading.net wrote:
same goes for tanks too, got my 7litre 300 bar tank for 65 with full test.
Supprised you are short of tank fillers in your area

I think there are others in the area just need to track them down. The one that shut was only 3 miles away. Sure the next closest will be about 20 miles. As it only takes a couple of mins pumping per fill its no hard ship plus I have a mate that dives so he takes the bottle with him when he comes up & refills it for me returning it on the next visit. As I get over 60 shots per fill as long as I am not plinking I can manage between refills.

Oh must check test ticket might be due a test soon.

Richard
dpack

pump is fine ,even when setting a new sight Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home