Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
onemanband

Alarming a hamster

Well not specifically alarming a hamster - more the room it is in.
My question is : Will a small hamster set off an alarm PIR ?

I am aware of pet-friendly PIRs and that cats/dogs will set off PIRs.

My gut feeling is that it will be OK. Trouble is hamster won't come out on demand, let alone run on his wheel on demand. Given that he gets active about midnight, trial and error is not an option.
Potentially I could temporarily allocate that PIR as a chime (like a shop door) and see if he sets it off.

Anybody had trouble with mice/rats/small pets setting off PIRs ?
dpack

i have had bother with bluebottles,adjusting sensitivity worked for that

iirc most good pir units can be adjusted to ignore certain directions ,the outdoor ones for lights etc can be,so as to avoid windy trees etc.

getting the unit/cage in a suitable orientation might well avoid problems

trying it with a harmless buzzer or lamp might be a good idea.
onemanband

AFAIK false alarms from flies are caused by flies inside detector(good ones are sealed) or from flying directly infront.
Hamster is 10 foot away, slap bang in the middle of PIR vision.
Limited positions for PIR because of woodburner.

I'm sure it will be ok and I can test, just looking for someone to say "we had a pet rodent and it was ok" or "bloody rats kept setting of the alarm"
dpack

it is possible to mask the detector to not cover small areas with tape.
Nick

Reckon that would take 400 hours trial and error. A sheet on the side of the cage facing the rif would take 90 seconds.
mousjoos

AFAIK false alarms from flies are caused by flies inside detector(good ones are sealed) or from flying directly infront

this is probably the reason my car alarm keeps going off....given the number of flies we've had of late
onemanband

Reckon that would take 400 hours trial and error. A sheet on the side of the cage facing the rif would take 90 seconds.

Yep ....and..... Yeh an option, but not one I'm keen on.

I really need to try it out first as it may not actually be an issue. I have the important zones set-up and running and will mess with this zone last.

I will have spare zones on the control panel so I could always fit several PIRs, located badly but avoiding issues.
Jamanda

Sigh. I've got the hamster dance tune stuck in my head now. Sad wellington womble

Damn you. So have I. I wonder if Lady J has ever seen it. onemanband

Aaaargh !!
I had to look.
only 30 seconds and now it will be with me for the rest of the day.
Nick

video showing how to disable a pir in segments. sean

Oooh, you big fibber. dpack

Laughing

close but no teddybear Laughing Laughing Laughing

i have and will resist re earworming that episode of horror
onemanband

Now I have played around with system and fully read the instructions I have done the following;
Set PIR to minimum sensitivity and set PIR LED to active whilst alarm on standby so that I can observe what sets it off.
So far so good....

Except I've had that bloody tune pop into my head today Rolling Eyes
dpack

Laughing Laughing Laughing Mistress Rose

No input on this, but reading avidly to see if the hamster sets off the alarm. Laughing Luckily I don't know the tune, and won't be looking for it on any links as you are all humming it. Mutton

Never heard of Hamster Dance, loved the silly line dancing hamsters on the version I came across.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home