Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Jamanda

Alkali loving plants

Can anyone think of any plants that like alkaline conditions that would be easy (and cheap) to get hold of large quantities of seeds for?
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Do you mean like a meadow mix or big plants?
Cathryn

Is it for school? Could you write to a seed company?
mochyn

The Dianthus are gerenally lime-lovers. Not sure how easy seed is to get in quantity though. I'll have a think.
Finsky

Poppies don't mind and they are cheap to buy and easy to save for future as well as calendula, French marigolds, sweet peas...
Generally most of the annuals will tolerate soils that are either way..acid side or alkaline...you can't get wrong with them.
Jamanda

I don't want ones that don't mind. I want ones that actively prefer a high pH. I'm trying to help an undergrad friend who is getting in a bit of a tizz about her dissertation.

Dianthus is pinks isn't it Mochyn? That might work.
mochyn

Yup. I think they're fairly easy from seed.
Jamanda

Yup. I think they're fairly easy from seed.

Cool. I'll suggest that then. Ta.
oldish chris

the word is "calcicole" and examples include Clematis, Scabious, Syringa and Viburnam. (Just had a quick look at my notes from when I was a student as Myerscough College.)
NorthernMonkeyGirl

the word is "calcicole" and examples include Clematis, Scabious, Syringa and Viburnam. (Just had a quick look at my notes from when I was a student as Myerscough College.)

Get you, utilising your edumacation and all Wink
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home