Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
lowri

Allen Motor Scythe - help and advice wanted!

I have an elderly Allen Motor scythe. He has been languishing at the back of the pigeon loft (ground floor) for about 14 years, covered up, but not adequately ( those feathers get everywhere!).
He used to work well (rather too powerful for me except on the flat). The guy who used to use him and overhaul him is now far too busy with other things.
I want to get him going again. He has a 2 stroke Villiers engine, pull start. Once going, he goes well on one tank of fuel, but won't take a refill, refuses to start again till the next day!
Does anyone know of a handbook or instruction manual still available? (or who has an Allen and would write out some idiot-proof instructions?)
Hairyloon

Will it start again if you stop it before the tank runs out?
Mr O

Re: Allen Motor Scythe - help and advice wanted!

lowri wrote:
I have an elderly Allen Motor scythe. He has been languishing at the back of the pigeon loft (ground floor) for about 14 years, covered up, but not adequately ( those feathers get everywhere!).
He used to work well (rather too powerful for me except on the flat). The guy who used to use him and overhaul him is now far too busy with other things.
I want to get him going again. He has a 2 stroke Villiers engine, pull start. Once going, he goes well on one tank of fuel, but won't take a refill, refuses to start again till the next day!
Does anyone know of a handbook or instruction manual still available? (or who has an Allen and would write out some idiot-proof instructions?)
Put a bigger tank on it?
lowri

I don't know if he starts again, it was usually a case of Keep Going!
A bigger tank is an option I hadn't thought of, Mr O! He turned over on a slope once, and dented the existing tank, but a bigger tank on the flat might work!
Any other suggestions?
T.G

we have an OAS - i bougt it for BigBoss as a surprise present but hes been too busy this year to atttend to it so far, it also could do with a new tyre, i'd be interested to know if and where you get a manual from Very Happy - i could give it to him as another surprise - as in haha..see surprised ya now you'll have NO excuse not to use it ...kind of surprise, not necessarily the oh wow what a lovely thoughtful wife kind Laughing
Hairyloon

lowri wrote:
I don't know if he starts again, it was usually a case of Keep Going!

Try it. Helps with the diagnosis: is it just that it doesn't like starting warm?
I have a strimmer like that... at least it doesn't take too long to cool down.
Try less choke.
lowri

He hasn't been started for 14 years! I am sure there are things that need tweaking, a filter to clean? New plug? Does he have points? I just do not know how to go about these things which is why I need advice!
Hairyloon

So when you said this:
lowri wrote:
Once going, he goes well on one tank of fuel, but won't take a refill, refuses to start again till the next day!

You were talking about 14 years ago.
Aha.

Take the plug out and pour a little light oil down the hole. Turn it over slowly a few times to get it all lubricated.
If there are any sticky bits, keep working it over.
Inspect the plug, it won't have worn out from being sat 14 years, but a new one won't hurt if you want.
Won't hurt to clean the cobwebs out of the air filter either.

I wouldn't expect points on a two stroke engine, they normally spark off a magnet on the flywheel.

Nice fresh mix of petrol... see what happens. If you get it started, don't rev too much too soon. Let it idle a while while it loosens up.

Oh, and I think you'll find it's a she. Wink
T.G

Hairyloon wrote:
how do you sex an OAS? Shocked
Hairyloon

The.Grange wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:
how do you sex an OAS? Shocked

How hard is she to get fired up? Wink
T.G

I can't say I've tried I can only report OH tweaks a couple of things and it fires up
lowri

Thank you, Hairyloon, for just the advice I wanted.

Ahem....
Anyone know any ladies called Allen?

(And don't say Barbara!) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Basil

Hi, new to this forum and I don't know if you've sorted the questions out about Allen Scythes, but I recently acquired one with the Mk25 4-stroke engine and after a few days of cleaning, valve grinding etc., fired it up last night. Big cheesy grins all round, but a pair of ear defenders wouldn't go amiss!

I've discovered a few good sources of parts, manuals & info., so if you're interested I'll post some links up here.
Basil

Re. the gender issue, everyone knows that moving machinery of a 'certain age' is generally female. Something to do with temperament I think Cool
sally_in_wales

Re: Gender

Basil wrote:
Re. the gender issue, everyone knows that moving machinery of a 'certain age' is generally female. Something to do with temperament I think Cool

its the need for constant moisturising/lubrication and a tendency to guzzle its fuel I think Laughing Younger models are more interested in keeping their paintwork shiny.

On the other hand, being an old banger means the machinery in question doesnt balk at being knee deep in mud. If it were male it would be in the pub complaining about how little attention it gets from its womenfolk these days and how things arent what they used to be instead of getting on with the job Laughing
Hairyloon

Re: Gender

Basil wrote:
Re. the gender issue, everyone knows that moving machinery is generally female. Something to do with temperament I think Cool

You might think that. I couldn't possibly comment. Confused
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home