Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
cab

Alliums

Assorted wild alliums good here now. Three cornered leek and crow garlic both good.
sean

Loads of three-cornered leek in our front garden. Thought some of the wild garlic had come up the other day but on closer inspection it hadn't.
cab

sean wrote:
Loads of three-cornered leek in our front garden. Thought some of the wild garlic had come up the other day but on closer inspection it hadn't.

Oh, the bulbs Snowball sent from your garden, haven't done much, but when prodded out of the ground the one I dug up didn't obviously seem dead. So fingers crossed.
Gavin Bl

does the crow garlic come in patches like wild garlic? and does it pong too?

cheers
Gav
cab

Errm... Doesn't seem to be such broad, big patches, its more clumpy, although you can get lots of clumpst together. Onioner than wild garlic.
Gavin Bl

cab wrote:
Errm... Doesn't seem to be such broad, big patches, its more clumpy, although you can get lots of clumpst together. Onioner than wild garlic.

thanks (yet again!) cab.
cab

Are you trying to ID some wild alliums Gavin?
Gavin Bl

Not really cab, I was just trying to get a sense of how I might find the crow garlic - and recall how distinct smell was in confirming wild garlic for me the first time round.

That said, I've looked for three cornered leeks before and not been sure on looking at some stuff I'd seen - as I think there is some round by me, so I've got a picture to take with me this weekend. Is it easily confused with other things?
PeteS

Cut the leaf across and it has a distinctive triangular section. Once you've cut it smell it. It smells a bit like wild garlic, and this smell should leave you in no doubt
cab

What Pete says. But post a picture for confirmation, its always worth a second opinion on a species you've not foraged before.
Gavin Bl

thanks chaps!
fungi2bwith

I've never come across three conered leek while foraging, but today my other half was pulling out weeds from her side of the garden (my side is full of veg and her side flowers) and she asked me if I knew what the oniony smelling "weed" was. It looked like three conered leek, however, after a quick look through some books I think it is Allium paradoxum (few-flowered leek/garlic). Very similar to triquetrum and also tasty. Looks I like I will be venturing across that side of the garden more often Laughing
Slim

I just harvested some ramps this afternoon. Delicious, stems sauteed in bacon drippings until they began to carmelize, then I added the greens and some turnip greens I had scavenged from turnips left in a nearby field, let the whole mess steam for a minute with some balsamic vinegar.... yum.
Woodburner

The wild garlic in my Mum's garden is just coming into flower, and having read that it's edible, I finally got brave enough to try it. YUM!
It originally came from Box Hill, I have never seen it around here, even in anyone else's garden.
Hmm I have a q that is best in GYO Wink
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home