Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Chez

Almond tree?

Could I plant an almond tree and it produce actual almonds? I'm in the soft south - Somerset. On sandy, well drained soil.
tahir

Depends, all the really good (true almond) varieties don't fruit here (well, not in Essex) the ones (peach x almond crosses) like Robijn and Ingrid that do taste bitter like marzipan, and suffer a little from peach leaf curl
tahir

But they do flower really early.
tahir

Bear in mind that a single nut tree (any type) without protection will be totally stripped of nuts by birds and squirrels
Slim

Is there not a risk of cyanide with crosses?

I thought one of the reasons to go with an established cultivar is the knowledge that you won't poison yourself?
tahir

There are peach almond crosses sold commercially, notably ingrid and robijn
Chez

Thank you. I will do some googling about sizes etc.. Flowers would be lovely ... nuts even nicer. I fail to net my hazelnut every year Smile
Hairyloon

If it doesn't work out, you could try grafting on other varieties.
Chez

Nice idea, but I don't have the headspace atm ... just need things that will grow with a relative amount of ease. I didnt even know that was an option though, so thanks, more googling needed Smile
Hairyloon

Nice idea, but I don't have the headspace atm ...

'Sall right: you wouldn't want to be doing it just yet. Wink
Shan

What about walnuts? Don't they grow easier here?
tahir

Big tree though
Hairyloon

Big tree though

Only if you let it.
tahir

How do you not let it? They don't come on dwarfing rootstocks and they don't really like being pruned Hairyloon

How do you not let it? They don't come on dwarfing rootstocks and they don't really like being pruned
They don't like hard pruning, so little and often.
Slim

bonsai walnut? Sound tedious Hairyloon

bonsai walnut? Sound tedious
Not necessarily: the basic principle is simply to restrict the roots. The tedious trimming is because bonsai people are looking for particular shapes.
tahir

I certainly wouldn't recommend little and often but you pays yer money and takes yer choice
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home