Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
sgt.colon

Am I correct in thinking

That a Rowen is a Mountain Ash? If so then then are they all good for the taking? I'm looking at making a preserve that calls for Rowen berries.

Thanks.
Lorrainelovesplants

yes.
and yes.....
see the recipe database...Im sure Gil does a preserve.
sgt.colon

Thank you Lorraine Smile Don't want to be poisoning the family. Confused
RichardW

I know that Rowen/mountain Ash berries are edible once cooked but is it true that the standard Ash berries are not?
bubble

rowan and ash are completely unrelated trees ,Rowan /mountain ash is Sorbus ....,the Ash tree is Fraxinus excelsior.The Rowan berries are edible when ripe and correctly processed,Ash keys [as in R. phillips Wild Food]are made into a pickle,when young and tender.
sgt.colon

I know that Rowen/mountain Ash berries are edible once cooked but is it true that the standard Ash berries are not?

Oh hold on then, how will I know if it's a standard Ash?

And also, how do I know when they are ripe?
Midland Spinner

Rowan (Sorbus aucuparia) has red berries (ripe when red & softish)

Ash has winged seeds which fall as "Helicopters"
If in doubt get a proper plant identification book and work through the keys. Don't just guess.
sgt.colon

Thank you MS. I'm good now I think. I just wanted to double check things and then Richard mentioned the Ash, which just had me doubting for a few. Smile
Midland Spinner

You're welcome.
You did say that you didn't want to poison the family - we don't want you to either Wink
gil

Rowan berries make a fab jelly - see my article in the DS Articles section on Wild Fruits and how to preserve them.
Also my article on making jellies more generally.
sgt.colon

Just having a read now, Gil. The recipe I was looking at called for mixing the Rowan's with another fruit to make a jelly. If you just had a Rowan jelly, what would you have it with/on?
Andrea

Rowan and apple is good. It's particularly good in a cheese sarnie or with cold meat.
gil

Just having a read now, Gil. The recipe I was looking at called for mixing the Rowan's with another fruit to make a jelly. If you just had a Rowan jelly, what would you have it with/on?

It goes especially well with lamb and mutton.
Think redcurrant jelly but tangier.
Cheeses. Brie ?
Scones...... yum !
I make it a lot.

Also good is rowan and rosemary jelly, or rowan and lavender leaves (which taste quite similar to rosemary)
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home