Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
frewen

ancient boiler

This 'ere house we are (positive thoughts) going to be moving to, has an ancient oil fired boiler which is flued up the kitchen chimney.

- it's friend, an equally ancient and very rusty tank, is going to spring a leak at any moment. That's on the back wall of the car port.

There is gas in the village but not in the road - is it worth enquiring about being put onto gas? Or are we talking megabucks?

Are their any rules about siting oil tanks? I would like to move it behind the garage (but that's a boundary) so that in the future we can extend into the car port.

And are their any regulations about siting new boilers? Something is rattling around in the back of my head saying that it needs to be flued through an outside wall but I could be making that up...

Here is said house

Come to think of it - if we replace the boiler we could get an oil fired Rayburn or Aga which could run the rads and do hot water? Although I'm guessing that might be too expensive both to install and run Confused

Can you tell I'm thinking out loud!
Bebo

If gas isn't in the road past the house it could be very expensive, but its worth checking.

If you are likely to be completely changing your system you might want to consider something that will work in conjunction with solar hot water (in the summer it has the potential to provide all of your hot water without relying on any form of boiler). Don't know much detail as I'm just starting to look at it for our place, but now wished I'd thought of it upfront as we had a new heating system fitted about 18months ago and I'm hoping it won't need any significant changes.
frewen

That's a good point - especially if that roof is orientated in the right direction Very Happy
judith

Bebo wrote:
If gas isn't in the road past the house it could be very expensive, but its worth checking.

Definitely worth checking. My Mum had it put in to her house - she lives in a little close just off the main road, and the pipe was in the main road. I think it cost her about £1800 to connect to the supply, which was expensive but a lot less than we thought it was going to be.
Gervase

Oil tanks are covered by Building Regs I'm afraid. Details here.
wellington womble

I'll get himself to have a look at this thread, or you can remind him later on.
tahir

Re: ancient boiler

Frewen wrote:
There is gas in the village but not in the road - is it worth enquiring about being put onto gas? Or are we talking megabucks?

Have just been talking to people about utilities fior the new build, you need to talk to a UIP, the only one I found that would talk to me was:

http://www.fulcrum.co.uk/

You need to send in an form and plan before they'll tell you how much.

We did speak to British Gas when we moved here, they wanted £8000 or something, the guy who came down said that they're happy to connect to pipework that you've laid yourself (which we will be) as long as they can do the connections.
Jb

IIRC regs for oil tanks require that new tanks are double bunded and not less than 1m from flammable material, which includes hedges. As you can't control what's on a neighbour's property that means in practice that it should also be more than 1m from a boundary.

New tanks are expensive but I suspect would still be cheaper than laying in piped gas over an distance.
tahir

JB wrote:
New tanks are expensive but I suspect would still be cheaper than laying in piped gas over an distance.

I reckon you're right, and some condensing oil boilers are almost as efficient as gas.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home