Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Hairyloon

Android Viruses.

I've taken a friend shopping to buy a tablet...
We got to the point of sale and of course met the hard sell on the virus protection bundle that they're offering...
Everything he said sounded to me like "this is a hard sell to get you to buy now..." but it is something that hadn't occurred to me before...
Presumably the virus writers are busy enough, so what is the word on the good virus checkers?
joanne

Just use Avast or AVG like you would on a PC
Hairyloon

I thought the word is that AVG is not so good these days... and I didn't know it was available for Android.
HairyV

I use Avira on my tablet and phone.
dpack

avast has kept dil safe for a couple of years
vegplot

Ask on an Android forum but you've probably done that already.
Hairyloon

I had limited time and internet facility with which to counter the sales pitch, so I'd not tried that, but for future reference, are there any that you'd recommend?
Jamanda

I don't think I have anything on my ipad. Should I get something from the app store?
Hairyloon

I don't think I have anything on my ipad. Should I get something from the app store?

I wouldn't know, but part of the sales pitch was "because it's not from Apple, it doesn't have security built in..."
Falstaff

Phones get sick now2 ?? Funny
Jamanda

tbh I just don't go anywhere dodgy. or open anything.
Nick

No. iOS devices are essentially safe, apart from someone else physically using them.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iosapps/is-ipad-iphone-ios-safe-what-security-software-need-3453938/
vegplot

I had limited time and internet facility with which to counter the sales pitch, so I'd not tried that, but for future reference, are there any that you'd recommend?

I couldn't. I don't have an Android device and I don't, with exception to this one, frequent any forums.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home