Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
JB

Animal friendly wood preservatives

I'm getting a chicken ark delivered this week (one of those forsham ark boughton thingies) and I'll want to put some wood preservative one it before getting it into use. So are there any preservatives I should be using, should be avoiding? How long should I leave it between treating the stuff and getting it into use?

I've a gallon of genuine creosote in the garage from an ancient project but I'm disinclined to use that because if anything would be ill advised that seems like a candidate, it is some years old and above all it stinks to high heaven for ages after using it.
Brownbear

Creosote is great for killing those little mites, though. As long as you don't get it on the ground or in the water, I'd say go with the creosote. I rather like the smell of it TBH.
judith

The old creosote is brilliant for keeping red mite at bay. If I had some, I would use it. I think the recommendation was to wait 3 weeks after applying.
Treacodactyl

Isn't the house treated already? If so perhaps just and extra coat of something on the outside would be required?

I would avoid old creosote, not just because of the birds but because it's meant to be harmful for people to come into contact with and I expect you and your family might spend a fair bit of time with the hens.

I've used water based wood treatments but would rather find something that works better and isn't harmful to people or animals.
Barefoot Andrew

Brownbear wrote:
I rather like the smell of it TBH.

And me Embarassed I've never thought of myself as a croesote junkie.
A.
JB

Treacodactyl wrote:
Isn't the house treated already? If so perhaps just and extra coat of something on the outside would be required?

Yes but I want to apply extra treatment to any bits that will be in direct contact with the ground. I would also expect to periodically apply some extra treatment to the exterior to help shed water, as long as the exterior is waterproofed I wouldn't expect to treat the inside.
JB

Bump.

Any particular recommendations? Any guidelines on how long to leave between treating wood and letting chckens near it?
Anders

We've been trying to find similar, - with little luck. We might try using lindseed oil with some terpentine mixed in. Might not be too bad for the chickens. What do people think? In the "old" days this was used to protect front doors and similar.
gil

Anders wrote:
We might try using lindseed oil with some terpentine mixed in. Might not be too bad for the chickens. What do people think? In the "old" days this was used to protect front doors and similar.

That's what I use to weatherproof my scythe snath [the wooden handle], at the start of every mowing season.
Tavascarow

On the natural beekeeping forum they recommend boiled linseed oil & beeswax, about 20 to 1 IIRC.
Needs two coats & takes a couple of weeks between coats to dry, One or two beeks are experimenting with beeswax & tung oil, with good results.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home