Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption
 


       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
dpack

another paper fueled thought

i will do this as a recipe

cardboard tube (as found in rolls of carpet etc)
shredded paper (as found in a paper shredder)
used cooking oil (you know where to find it )

cut 20 cm lengths of tube ,stuff with shredded paper,add a cupfull of oil to each one

these burn well on an open fire and can act as a good firelighter for solid fuels .once they are lit they last quite well and seem to have more heat than a similar sizes dry softwood log (which wont light with a match unless you use a blade )
Ty Gwyn

Your not thinking of tendering for Lynemouth are you,lol?
dpack

i think i prefer low tech Laughing
Jam Lady

Take one pressed paper egg carton

Fill each compartment with - choose one: dryer lint OR wood shavings

Melt down ugly candles and pour into each compartment to solidify shavings or dryer lint

To light fire tear off one compartment. Lay between two pieces of split wood. Light a match and lay on surface of fire lighter.

Roll up a single sheet of newspaper on the diagonal and tie in a loose knot

Lay on previously lit fire lighter

Top with a couple of pieces of dry bark, small branches, or whatever

Will catch nicely. Now top with a piece of split wood laid diagonally over the two bottom piece

If you want to fancy up the fire lighters add a chunk of the scented wax used in candle making when melting down the ugly candles
Mistress Rose

Going real low tech for you Dpack. Find and thorought dry some King Alfred's cake fungus, some loose silver birch bark and birch twigs. Light the fungus, which will glow. Put it under the silver birch bark and twigs.

I like your use of shredded paper. I might try that as we have lots at present having had a good clear out of old bills etc.
Nick

Can confirm he knows this, as I have a chunk of old mushroom from him, specifically as a fire lighter.

Only one of his gifts that didn't get destroyed in the garage fire, ironically.
BahamaMama

Can confirm he knows this, as I have a chunk of old mushroom from him, specifically as a fire lighter.

Only one of his gifts that didn't get destroyed in the garage fire, ironically.


Laughing
dpack

Can confirm he knows this, as I have a chunk of old mushroom from him, specifically as a fire lighter.

Only one of his gifts that didn't get destroyed in the garage fire, ironically.


Laughing

that is quite ironic as they do take a spark and work up to a hot glow (or hold the spark for ages)rather well.

putting them out for reuse is both tricky and if failed in a bit dodgy in a pocket .

ps they do work as handwarmer fuel.
Nick

Oh, it's because it is in the drawer in my bedside locker, so a fair way from the blazing inferno. Mistress Rose

When we find them we tend to put them in the van to dry and then get them out when we need them to light a fire.

Sorry to hear about the garage fire Nick.
Nick

Oh, no worries. Thanks, but it was a few years back. I've managed to fill the new one with stuff I need to get rid of already! dpack

well you do have tinder Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home