Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Mary-Jane

Antique furniture - best place to sell?

I'm having a good old clear out of a lot of (rather nice) antique furniture. Where's the best place to sell it? I've just contacted the local auction house who told me that 'brown furniture' (as it's apparently known) has gone down in value considerably. Thus I'm humming a haa-ing about where to sell it all.
welsh veg grower

Depends what you have there are a few auction places near here but the brown furniture really doesn't fetch much. I'm looking for a few bits mind you what do you have
Lorrainelovesplants

I have just taken a beautiful Chest of drawers from a aguy that cant sell it. I gave him £50.

He recently sold an oak gate leg table in reasonable nick for £8, and was gutted.

Brown is not popular at the mo.

What are you trying to sell? Photo?
baldybloke

Post some photo's and you might get some takers.
mousjoos

I have just taken a beautiful Chest of drawers from a aguy that cant sell it. I gave him £50.

He recently sold an oak gate leg table in reasonable nick for £8, and was gutted.

Brown is not popular at the mo.

What are you trying to sell? Photo?

Brown stuff new or old is not very much in demand & hasn't been for long time....this is primarily why I now live in France & no longer make furniture
Mary-Jane

Hmmm...interesting. I'll have a think about it. There are several places locally that will take it, I'm just humming and haa-ing about what's the best thing to do.
mochyn

Most of my furniture is brwon. We like wood in this house.
madcat

Another vote for wood here, have you too much stuff or just wanting a change?
dpack

big subject

get an auction house to have a look either by photos/email or in person is probably best quick advice as how to proceed,

brown furniture is at a 30 yr low but very good pieces still hold good value

knowing if any is top quality needs a look,usually underneath at the construction and at the origin/quality of the timber

if it is standard grade from about 1780 onwards tis worth less than the wood would cost,furniture before that in date and top quality items have held value quite well

my advice is unless it is a special piece recut /reuse it into something more useful and beautiful and use the spares as fuel or sell it as dressed timber to folk who will use it for repairs /new work

try pricing a short plank of good oak or mahognany Wink
jamanda

I think you need to get it over to the South East where the money is.
Mary-Jane

...have you too much stuff... ?

Yup. No room. A lot has been inherited. It's not that I don't like it - it's just that I've got no room left!
joanne

Definitely post photos - I am looking to acquire a few pieces as well as I gradually replace everything that had anything to do with the ex in this house for stuff I actually like! Dreamcatcher

Have you tried Kings Furnishings, Beulah Rd, Newcastle Emlyn SA38 9QA situated between NCE and Aberporth. They retail pre owned, antique and country furniture and may be worth a call. 01239 711058 Bodger

I love brown and have you seen what they're asking for the cruddy new stuff they sell these days? Mithril

I sold some antique furniture on ebay - cash on collection to avoid fees. As long as you are happy with the starting price / reserve it might be worth a go. chez

The trick with selling big stuff on ebay is to make collection easy for them - ie, point them towards Shiply and be prepared to wrap stuff if necessary. If you've got a local Shiply-courier-type person, get a couple of estimates for delivery to That London and, say, Manchester, as examples.

And list with a minimum price rather than start at 99p.
Luath

Good 'brown' furniture will sell, there are folk out there who want it. I'm just about to dispose of a lot of it, but it's top notch stuff, and will be doing it by local auction house who have handled furniture from the source previously. Get a local auction house or two in to give advice and take it from there? welsh veg grower

Lots of people paint it now there is a lady in Aberaron who teaches how to paint any furniture and make it look shabby !!! She uses a paint called Chalk Paint and you can paint anything without prep. madcat

Somehow I think it may be worth putting photos and prices on here, looks like there may be a few possible customers.
Pity you are so far away as I have considered buying an extra chest of drawers.
jamanda

Somehow I think it may be worth putting photos and prices on here, looks like there may be a few possible customers.
Pity you are so far away as I have considered buying an extra chest of drawers.

Can't do any harm to post some piccies in trading post.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home