Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
greenbean

Ants on me beans

Hello everyone,
I've got lots of ants climbing up my broad beans, I think they are eating some of the leaves. I don't want to use chemicals. Does anyone have some top tips on getting rid of them?
Behemoth

Track them back tthe source and the old boiling water trick? They're eating your food - be ruthless. Wink
greenbean

Gosh that was quick. OK, thanks, I'll try that. I don't mind being ruthless sometimes.
nettie

Have you got blackfly on the beans? I've just discovered, thanks to Cab, that the ants are "farming" the blackfly on my cherry tree for their honeydew.
cab

Certainly a possibility; if certain species of ant such as wood ants find aphids, they'll quickly end up farming them. I've seen it on roses, cherries and other trees and shrubs, but I've never seen it on beans. Can't immediately think of any reason this wouldn't happen, though.

Is it a blackfly problem on the beans? If so, you're not going to be shot of it by getting rid of the ants, blackfly on broadbean seems to be controllable (or so I'm currently finding) by regularly pulling off as many blackfly as you can and feeding them to the frogs in the pond...
Lozzie

I heard once it was possible to distract the ants with a saucerful of jam at the base of the plant being infested, but I suspect that would attract ALL SORTS of other undesirables
tahir

Lozzie wrote:
I suspect that would attract ALL SORTS of other undesirables

Paddington Bear for one, or is that marmalade?
sean

tahir wrote:
Lozzie wrote:
I suspect that would attract ALL SORTS of other undesirables

Paddington Bear for one, or is that marmalade?

Marmalade, or cocoa, or buns. For PB that is.

Hello all, thanks for all your posts. No blackfly on my beans just ants. I have another question however, I have read on this site and my gardening books that 'pinching out the tips' can prevent blackfly, sorry to be so stupid but what exactly do I remove? The top middle growth of the broad bean plant?
greenbean

Sorry, that last guest was me, greenbean struggling with technology
Lozzie

Yes: "Pinching out tips" is literally pinching off the last half inch or so of the growth on the tips of the plant. This can also be done to make something leggy bush out.

Please don't take that the wrong way, will you now. Shocked Wink

Oh and Paddington was very particular - it had to be either STICKY or CREAM buns, I think.
greenbean

Hello Lozzie, Thank you for that. I'm gonna run out now and pinch out my tips......ouch! Shocked
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home