Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Brownbear

Any chance of a duck?

Got two cracking mallard drakes at the little shoot I belong to yestersay - it was a grim day for pheasant as there is so much food everywhere for them that you can't hold them very easily. the duck are hanging in the lean-to and Thomas is staring up at them with love and longing in his eyes.

Anyone else had any duck yet?
Silas

Re: Any chance of a duck?

Brownbear wrote:
Got two cracking mallard drakes at the little shoot I belong to yestersay - it was a grim day for pheasant as there is so much food everywhere for them that you can't hold them very easily. the duck are hanging in the lean-to and Thomas is staring up at them with love and longing in his eyes.

Anyone else had any duck yet?

Have not had wild mallard for a long time, not much meat on them as I recall.
Jonnyboy

Not yet this season, looking forward to my first, and wigeon, and pheasant, and woodcock, yum.
vegplot

No, but the North Wales deer stalking bit of BASC has organised a carcass handling evening (only 5) at a local catering college. Option to buy venison afterwards.
Rob R

Re: Any chance of a duck?

Silas wrote:
Have not had wild mallard for a long time, not much meat on them as I recall.

Not much, but probably more than on a supermarket chicken, though.

Just finished the last out of the freezer from last year- only just had the first fresh pheasant of the year last night.
KILLITnGRILLIT

Nope, plenty of geese though Very Happy

Pheasant tonight, stuffed with goats cheese and thyme, wrapped in bacon, panfried then de-glazed with white wine and reduced then some cream added........served with a savoury vegetable rice.

Can`t beat the game season for tasty scran eh?
Northern_Lad

vegplot wrote:
No, but the North Wales deer stalking bit of BASC has organised a carcass handling evening (only 5) at a local catering college. Option to buy venison afterwards.

That sounds like a really good idea.

Deconstructing a carcass I can do, but I'm certain I'd be better with some further instruction.
lottie

I used to buy wild duck every winter from a poulterers on the market beore we moved, but I much prefer the eating qualities of the Muscovies I breed now.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home