Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
sally_in_wales

any downsizers in Spain?

Any of our Spanish contingent got access to the kermes insect that is a pest on oak trees in Spain? Will pay actual money for the bugs (they are a historically important red dye) if anyone fancies picking some off for me Wink
mochyn

Dead only, I hope!
Went

Don't think we have it in this part .......do you have a picture for reference? Is it the bug itself or the scale?

You could also try this forum - mostly serious nature folks and nearly all ex-uk.

http://www.iberianatureforum.com/
sally_in_wales

There is a pic of some on oak here, it grows in a few countries but apparently Spain is one good place to find them
lorrayne

We are right on the boder with spain + we have plenty of cork oaks around us - will take a look for you.
sally_in_wales

lorrayne wrote:
We are right on the boder with spain + we have plenty of cork oaks around us - will take a look for you.

lovely Smile I believe they will be quite noticable if you have the bugs
Blue Sky

I have lots of red blobs on one of my Oak trees. They are on the underside of most of the leaves. I doubt it is what you are looking for Sally but does anyone know what they are?
jamanda

Simon wrote:
I have lots of red blobs on one of my Oak trees. They are on the underside of most of the leaves. I doubt it is what you are looking for Sally but does anyone know what they are?

Probably a gall of some sort. Photo?
Northern_Lad

Jamanda wrote:
Simon wrote:

I think you'll find it's spelt Gaul in France.

(sorry)
sally_in_wales

Jamanda wrote:
Simon wrote:

photo would be good, I can always wave it at the bug boffins at work if needs be Smile
moonwind

Northern_Lad wrote:
Jamanda wrote:
Simon wrote:

I think you'll find it's spelt Gaul in France.

(sorry)

The french used to say this is de gaulle didn't they? Wink
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home