Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Shan

Any Ideas for Bonfire Night Cocktails

I want to make some bonfire night cocktails. Whilst there are loads of recipes out there, I would rather start from a base of tried and tested and enjoyed recipes.

Any ideas?
wellington womble

You mean cocktails that you just happen to be having on bonfire night, or specifically bonfire night themed cocktails?

If the former, I am very fond of Gin Mojitos and Espresso Martinis (even though they aren't proper Martinis at all) Cosmopolitans, Margaritas and Kir Royal are also very nice.

If the latter, I personally would put indoor sparklers in the same drinks and re-name them all after fireworks. You still get nice cocktails and people feel it's appropriate to the occasion.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Flaming sambuca? Laughing
Shan

God no... bad bad bad experience in my youth.....
Shan

You mean cocktails that you just happen to be having on bonfire night, or specifically bonfire night themed cocktails?

If the former, I am very fond of Gin Mojitos and Espresso Martinis (even though they aren't proper Martinis at all) Cosmopolitans, Margaritas and Kir Royal are also very nice.

If the latter, I personally would put indoor sparklers in the same drinks and re-name them all after fireworks. You still get nice cocktails and people feel it's appropriate to the occasion.

Sort of themed toward standing next to the bonfire with a Winter inspired cocktail, guaranteed to warm the cockles!

I once had a cocktail, which was a martini type that had marmalade, Palo Cortada sherry, vanilla vodka and God knows what else but can't find a suitable recipe.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

God no... bad bad bad experience in my youth.....

Snap. We had nearly drunk the entire bottle by the time we worked out how to set it alight... Cool

Am I right in thinking you'd want warm, spicy flavours - gingery or toffee-apple-y? Am trying to fire up brain cells Smile
Shan

I worked through ALL the Sambuca colours - they don't come back up the same way they go down!

Yes, lovely warm spicy flavours. Ginger and toffee apple both great ideas.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Is there enough time to infuse some spirits - ginger vodka maybe? Gotta be better than the bought-in stuff! Shan

I think there probably is. Nothing like a good bit of alcohol infusing... Laughing NorthernMonkeyGirl

*hic* wellington womble

Sort of themed toward standing next to the bonfire with a Winter inspired cocktail, guaranteed to warm the cockles!

I once had a cocktail, which was a martini type that had marmalade, Palo Cortada sherry, vanilla vodka and God knows what else but can't find a suitable recipe.

The Espresso Martinis are lovely. I recommend considerable experimentation to find out how you like them best. 2 parts espresso, 1-2 parts Baileys and 1 part vodka. Shaken over ice etc etc. Some places use Tia Maria in place of Baileys (too sweet, imo) fancy chefs put froth on the top and float coffee beans. This is nice if someone else is making them. At home I don't bother. The tricky bit is remembering to make the coffee in advance and chill it. I tried to make coffee ice cubes, but they go all funny. Probably works best with proper espresso, but good instant is surprisingly fine.

I'm off to put some coffee on, now.
Shan

Uhhmmmm bad experiences with Baileys and Tia Maria too... Embarassed You know they curdle when they come back to haunt you!

Lets just say I had a wild youth....

PS Don't mention peach or grapefruit shnapps either...
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Rolling Eyes
What *can* you drink?
Laughing
Shan

Laughing

Brandy, whisky, wine, gin, vodka, rum, bitters, cider, sherry, port, cognac, armagnac, tequila, etc, etc.... Embarassed
Shan

I think we worked through all my 'issues' with the other posts... Laughing Pilsbury

Stones ginger wine is surprisingly cheap and alcoholic for a flavour in your cocktails.. tahir

I worked through ALL the Sambuca colours - they don't come back up the same way they go down!

Yes, lovely warm spicy flavours. Ginger and toffee apple both great ideas.

A bottle and a half of creme de menthe comes up pretty much the same colour as it goes down
Shan

Making me cringe! Shan

Stones ginger wine is surprisingly cheap and alcoholic for a flavour in your cocktails..

Also lovely used in a marinade.
dpack

another vote for the use of ginger wine ,perhaps a parkin theme by adding mixed spice and a bit of sieved raisin compote? Shan

Hmmm, sounds interesting. I can feel a lot of experimentation coming on... Shan

Where are the real boozers... like Nick.... when you need them? sean

Real boozers don't faff about with cocktails. Bonfire night, nice peaty Islay malt. Sorted. Laphroaig or Ardbeg would be my preference. Shan

The cocktails are merely a warm up.

I'm not fond of peaty whisky... reminds me of mothballs.
Shan

I have found THE recipe!!

Seville Cortadita

1 1/2 shots Vanilla Vodka
3/4 Palo Cortado Sherry
Bar spoon lemon juice Bar spoon sugar syrup
3 bar spoons Seville orange marmalade
1/2 shot orange juice.

Shake well with ice and strain into a chilled martini glass. Flame an orange peel slice across the drink to release the oils over the surface. Drop in as garnish.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home