Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Mary-Jane

Any rotovator recommendations?

We're wanting to invest in a small rotovator which needs to be able to be used in raised beds as well as large ordinary veg beds. Anyone got any thoughts or recommendations?
LynneA

Get the 2 stroke Mantis. Buy the "plough" attachment as well.

Howard bought himself a Mantis for his birthday in September, and it's saved us so much time and pain. It's light enough for me to handle when I'm allowed to, and it seems to drag out couch grass roots rather than chop them up.

Just wish there was a diesel version we could run off veg oil.
Mary-Jane

LynneA wrote:
Get the 2 stroke Mantis. Buy the "plough" attachment as well.

Howard bought himself a Mantis for his birthday in September, and it's saved us so much time and pain. It's light enough for me to handle when I'm allowed to, and it seems to drag out couch grass roots rather than chop them up.

Just wish there was a diesel version we could run off veg oil.

Is that the one which is always advertised in the back of Kitchen Garden et al, with the woman using it (presumably to prove a point)? I wondered whether that was any good...
LynneA

It is as good as they make out. We've hired larger models, but the problem with them is a) the larger the model, the harder to control and b) rotovating the whole plot is the best raindance invented.

The last occasion we hired a rotovator, the pallet ramp Howard was using the load it back into the van shifted under the weight. This led to his scalp having an argument with the van door. This was at 6 in the morning an nobody was around to help. So he drove back, even though his vision was impared by the blood running down his face.

He got home, staggered down the path looking like an extra from Full Metal Jacket. I tidied him up, called a cab, and we spent the rest of Easter Saturday morning in A&E.

I can lift the Mantis up one handed.

Seriously - £300 well spent.
judith

I suppose a small pig is out of the question?
pookie

ditto the above, well apart from the pig suggestion as I haven't had any of them (yet!) Wink the mantis is on offer at the mo if you check on their website

http://www.mantis-uk.co.uk/
lottie

We have found that a small one like the mantis we have for raised beds isn't robust enough for digging a bigger plot-----in fact we have bought what they term a two wheel tractor for our place in wales with various attatchments---which will be great for rotavating when the grounds been initially turned over----but in spite of assuring us it would cope by reversing the rotovator tines on virgin soil---it wasn't ideal and we are now debating between the three types of plough attatchment for it.
tahir

I'm looking at a 2 wheeled tractor too, failing that I might go for this:

http://www.amsmachinery.co.uk/shop_tillers__650_rrt_with_tines-20.aspx

Very cheap for what it is.
Behemoth

Our allotment has two types - a mantis for the raised bed/half plot folk and a bigger beast on wheels for the full plot open prarie geezers.

The mantis got a good write up in KG a while bac, though they are a regular advertiser.
lottie

We were lucky we got one second hand from tooby and williams a goldoni uno that had been used about 4 hrs by someone who'd bought all the kit then realised the goodlife wasn't them and gone back to england---so besides rotovator we got flail mower a huge chipper/shredder attatchment---brilliant for compost and even a ride on flat cart thingy attatchment ideal for moving stuff about---the flail mower ate brambles we'd spent hours hacking by hand
tahir

What make is yours Lottie?
lottie

tahir wrote:
What make is yours Lottie?

just edited my reply cos realised I'd not put make----it is a goldoni uno I think----sorry bit girly on machine names--- and it's in an outhouse in wales at the mo'---all I know is we are both really pleased with it and even I who am totally unmechanical can use it easily
tahir

The Goldoni distributors in Essex so might nip up there one day
Blacksmith

Merry tiller Very Happy
Mrs Fiddlesticks

we've got this Honda F220 and are very pleased with it.
Just Jane

I have a Honda FG201 http://www.honda.co.uk/garden/GardenStoreLookupServlet?hidActionDetail=GetTillerDetail&hidTillerID=8&hidCategoryID=1 - I find it excellant for my raised beds as its not too heavy & has a handle so I can lift it over the side, it also has detachable wheels so I can wheel it from the garage to the veg garden and is not too large to turn in the raised bed. It started first pull when I got it out this year (even with last years petrol in) and it is also quite quiet. The Honda may not be the cheapest but they are tough - my dads old rotovator is still going well & its over 30 years old
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home