Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Lorrainelovesplants

anyone here an architect?

Looking for some advice......
Hairyloon

Often think I should've been. It looks like money for jam. Confused
Behemoth

No, but what do you need to know....
Lorrainelovesplants

its quite complicated.
Rusticwood

Don't do it.

After looking at many plans I can safely say they mess things up Wink Laughing
stumbling goat

Ask anyway.

It may not be as complex as you believe?

sg
Hairyloon

its quite complicated.

Many things which appear complicated are Just a bunch of simple things put together in a complicated looking way. Confused
vegplot

I have an MSc. in Architecture but am no architect.
stumbling goat

its quite complicated.

Many things which appear complicated are Just a bunch of simple things put together in a complicated looking way. Confused

Succinctly put.

Go on. Put it. You know you want to!

sg
Lorrainelovesplants

Okay..............

We want to build a first floor extention onto our existing garage conversion (done all legal like).
To get the height we are thinking either a hipped extention or a mansard.

The trick is tying it in to the existing apex of the main bungalow.

here are some piccies.....

Click to download file
Sorry...one came out twice - couldnt get rid of it....

Ty Gwyn

Is the extention to be where the conservatory is now? onemanband

I can picture it but hard to explain.
If garage extension (loft type room ?) is a pitched roof on either side with a flat top (approx 4 foot?) all you have to do is raise one side of house gable (in brickwork) so it is level with existing ridge and build short garage wall up to create a part gable.
Looking at the picture that is duplicated - the garage roof will go from top left of garage to top left of house roof, then flat for approx 4 foot then back down to top right of garage. The house gable immediatly to right of satalite dish will be built up as will the garage wall to the left of sat dish.
Hope this makes sense.
vegplot

Could you extend the main house then add the extension roof?

stumbling goat

Are you limited on roof height by the existing roofline?

Are there any extensions or conversions on the road that may be a precedent to allow you to go higher?

Do you have sufficient headroom in the roof if you build to the current height of the existing bungalow?

Any similar works along the road at all?

sg
ros

Are the foundations for the current garage conversion sufficient for two storeys ? stumbling goat

Are the foundations for the current garage conversion sufficient for two storeys ?

good point.

sg
Lorrainelovesplants

structural engineer says yes, foundations good (we dug a hole 4 ft down).
Cant afford to extend the house (the last architect wanted to do this - we are not surnamed Rockerfeller).

The structural engineer is going to come and measure monday....he has some ideas... Rolling Eyes I have told him we are on a tight budget.
stumbling goat

What sort of fees is your SE charging?

sg
Ty Gwyn

structural engineer says yes, foundations good (we dug a hole 4 ft down).
Cant afford to extend the house (the last architect wanted to do this - we are not surnamed Rockerfeller).

The structural engineer is going to come and measure monday....he has some ideas... Rolling Eyes I have told him we are on a tight budget.

What thickness of Concrete was under the garage footings?
Looking at your photos,your extension roof will be above your bungalow roof,
Depends if the joists in the garage roof are thick enough,to take floor weight,thicker joists will be needed,then minimum ceiling height,you d be pushed to get a flat roof to finish below your bungalow ridge height.
stumbling goat

OP suggested that the extension will be effectively lifting the existing garage conversion roof upwards?

So unless extending elsewhere the new roof weight will be borne by the walls supporting the existing roof.

sg
Lorrainelovesplants

The foundations are solid all the way to the bottom of the hole. Couldnt dig further than 4ft as its bedrock. SE has seen and is quite happy with this. The existing garage conversion is double cavity walled and there is a massive steel beam through the centre, so again, he is happy with this.

SE is going to charge between 4-500 for his work and complete drawings. The application will be over and above this.
Lorrainelovesplants

The roof of the new bit will have to tie in to the existing roof height. onemanband

Like this ?

[/img]
dpack

roman style Laughing Nick

Like this ?

[/img]

I'm guessing you won't get the full 4-500 for those. Wink
Lorrainelovesplants

The drawings are how I visualise it turning out - not the prettiest thing in the world. (Might look better covered with climbers) Behemoth

What's the idea for putting the roof on? Raising the ceiling downstairs? making it look nicer? Room/storage in the the roof space? Lorrainelovesplants

The existing roof is a flat roof and will need replacing in the next year or so. In addition we would like some solar capacity on the apex, and if we go to the trouble of poutting an apex on, then it makes sense to put a room in the void. onemanband

I'm guessing you won't get the full 4-500 for those. Wink
Laughing
I'm cheaper than most architects, but I do charge extra for using a ruler or my colouring crayons.
onemanband

The existing roof is a flat roof and will need replacing in the next year or so. In addition we would like some solar capacity on the apex, and if we go to the trouble of poutting an apex on, then it makes sense to put a room in the void.

I see your logic, but as soon as you turn that roof space into a habitable room you're talking a different construction to just putting on a pitched roof .. and adding tens of thousands to the build cost.
What about not connecting the 2 roofs and not creating a room- ie both ends of garage hipped. It won't give you anymore than storage, but could be built with pre-made trusses and existing garage roof could stay in place. Minimal disturbance and much cheaper than creating a habitable room. A 2 week job as appossed to a 2-3 month job.
Bulgarianlily

Can you extend the main roof by making a porch to sit on, rather than a whole new bit of building? stumbling goat

The existing roof is a flat roof and will need replacing in the next year or so. In addition we would like some solar capacity on the apex, and if we go to the trouble of poutting an apex on, then it makes sense to put a room in the void.

I see your logic, but as soon as you turn that roof space into a habitable room you're talking a different construction to just putting on a pitched roof .. and adding tens of thousands to the build cost.
What about not connecting the 2 roofs and not creating a room- ie both ends of garage hipped. It won't give you anymore than storage, but could be built with pre-made trusses and existing garage roof could stay in place. Minimal disturbance and much cheaper than creating a habitable room. A 2 week job as appossed to a 2-3 month job.

How much?

sg
Behemoth

I'm dubious you'll get much useable space or even be able to comply with building regs for a room by the time you allow for floor joists and insulation and ceiling clearance. At best you'd only be able to stand in the centre of it. All depends on the height of the existing ridgeline. Lorrainelovesplants

Im going to wait and see what the stuctural engineer comes up with.
Thanks to everyone for their 'interesting' opinions.
stumbling goat

Very Happy

sg
onemanband

and adding tens of thousands to the build cost.

How much?

sg

The extra costs of a habitable roof over a basic pitched roof are:
professional fees
probably altering garage roof so suitable as floor
more complicated roof construction to give clear interior space
in this case extra cost of flat ridge, raising gables and connecting the 2 roofs
staircase and alterations to existing building to locate stairs
insulation to roof pitches

And thats before the extra items that you see for your money -windows, plastering, flooring, electrics, heating, en-suite?, and interior walls

10-20k extra? How long is a piece of string ?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home