Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Lorrainelovesplants

apple scion wood?

Ive got some rootstocks coming next week, and am on the lookout for scion wood - preferably from cider bittersweet varieties.

Anyone have any bittersweets that will do well in damp mild Cornwall that are canker resistant?
yummersetter

You'll have to look up if any are bittersweet, as I'm not a cider person, but I have Dabinett, Kingston Black, Tom Putt, Coat Jersey, Morgan Sweet, Crimson King cider apples
Lorrainelovesplants

Thanks! Ill do some research!
Lorrainelovesplants

oooh,
I'd love a couple of Coat's Jersey and Morgan Sweet if possible.
Pencil thick, damp cotton wool round the bases. Any chance of posting? I can paypal you the cost.
Tavascarow

Hi Lorraine, where are you getting the stocks?
Thinking about grafting a few myself from some very old & unidentified local trees.
Lorrainelovesplants

ah, they were ordered some time ago via a friend.
But I beleive Endsleigh do them also.
OtleyLad

Hi Lorraine, where are you getting the stocks?
Thinking about grafting a few myself from some very old & unidentified local trees.

Ive used these twice now from ebay. Good strong plants.
They will do mixed bunches for you too if you ask nice.
yummersetter

Just talking to someone about Coat Jersey today. I had my two trees bottom grafted at Brogdale in the 1990s onto M25, and they took years to get growing, they stayed at the maiden whip stage for about 5-8 years. They're large productive trees now, though. I do have the last remaining orchard in Coat, so perhaps our soil has a very specific replant 'antibody' to that variety.
Anyway, I read in Scott's Orchardist (1870s), that Jersey cider apples should always be top grafted as standards ( grow the main stem from the rootstock and graft the CJ wood onto where the branches would form) - I wondered if that was why mine took so long to thrive. and wrote about it online somewhere / here?
The apple enthusiast I was chatting to at the Farmers Market had just planted two Coat Jerseys that he had ordered to be grafted for him, and the nursery told him they had to be top grafted. Now whether that's local knowledge in action, or if I have set a rule in place, I don't know, but I'll be watching his trees to see how quickly they take off.
I'll send you some wood anyway, you can make your own decision how and where to graft it. The Morgan is almost for sure a triploid, the trees are around a century or more old, hollow trunked but vigorous and productive ( though biennial). They are large early sweet apples.
Lorrainelovesplants

That would be fantastic.
pm me and let me know how much......
appreciate this!
Nick

I have an orchard with at least three different varieties which are traditional and bitter sweet.

I have no idea what scion wood is. If you provide an idiots guide, you're welcome to twigs, or cuttings, if that's what you're after? These are full size trees, and old.

I can find out the variety.
Falstaff

I'd really like to see a photo record / demonstration of how to do this if you feel like it please ?
Lorrainelovesplants

Hi Nick, a scion is basically a cutting.
For grafting they need to be about as thick as a pencil, or slightly thicker and about a foot long. The cutting needs to come from last years wood, so looking at a bare branch now find a straight bit at the end of a branch - a twig.

If you can find out the varieties that would be great. Then let me know....

Yes, Im happy to do a photo record. I only started doing it last year and found it difficult to do the cutting, but after about 10 you kind of 'get it'. All of mine took, so Im pleased.
Nick

I have emailed the bloke who takes my apples for cider. He knows what I have. I'll let you know, but you're very welcome if they're suitable.
Lorrainelovesplants

lovely man!
Lorrainelovesplants

Im on the look out for some Scottish varieties and am waiting for a friend to get back to me, but online there is very little about suitable Scottish cider varieties.
Anyone have info?
Bloody Ploughman seems to be the only one that I can find a decent amount of info about.
sean

gil might know something. She's only around intermittently though. You could try PMing her.
Lorrainelovesplants

have now got an offer of Bloody Ploughman! Doing well. Looking forward to this.
Will do a photo story thing. Dont want to risk another very Scottish video... Razz
Lorrainelovesplants

Ive been reading up on top grafting, and dont think it will be a problem. I cant graft as standards but as Ive had 100% success rate in the past, Im going to give it a go, the way I normally do it. I might even try a cleft graft as a variation!
Nick

I have emailed the bloke who takes my apples for cider. He knows what I have. I'll let you know, but you're very welcome if they're suitable.

Quote:
Yellowy green ones are bulmers norman. Reddy/yellow ones yarlington mill. And michelin (2 trees nearest the house)
Lorrainelovesplants

Thanks Nick,
I'd love a few of the Bulmer's Norman apple please if you can spare.....
Nick

No problem. How many is sensible? And when's the best time to do it?

Do I require a full moon? And is there a best way to cut?
joanne

Lorraine, Middlewood up here might have some varieties of interest for you especially as we are up fairly near the Scottish border

http://www.middlewood.org.uk/woodlands/Fruit_trees.pdf

Also Phillip Rainford from the Northern Fruit Group may be able to help you track down some Scottish varieties, he's a lovely guy, came to help us work out the varieties of apple and pear in my SiL-to-be's garden

http://www.northernfruitgroup.com/
Tavascarow

You have to do it naked on the full moon whilst your other half videos it to share for our mirth!!
Wink
Nick

You have to do it naked on the full moon whilst your other half videos it to share for our mirth!!
Wink

Magic. I'll head to Amazon and grab a wide angle lens.
Lorrainelovesplants

Yummersetter - arrived today - beautifully wrapped, thank you. Now in the fridge. Laughing Lorrainelovesplants

Nick - no full moon or anything - just go to tree, look at the end twigs, this is last years growth. Cut about 9 inches to a foot long, thick as a pencil. If its a little smaller thats fine - can do a little thinner. Nice and straight.
Only need 2 or three thanks. Dont worry, if you cant.
Wrap a bit of damp kitchen roll round the cut ends, inside a freezer bag and post. Let me know....Ill post you a bottle in a couple of weeks - Im starting to do a new batch in the next week or so.
Lorrainelovesplants

Joanne
I think ive got enough for now, but will save the link for next year, as might do more then.
Nick

Nick - no full moon or anything - just go to tree, look at the end twigs, this is last years growth. Cut about 9 inches to a foot long, thick as a pencil. If its a little smaller thats fine - can do a little thinner. Nice and straight.
Only need 2 or three thanks. Dont worry, if you cant.
Wrap a bit of damp kitchen roll round the cut ends, inside a freezer bag and post. Let me know....Ill post you a bottle in a couple of weeks - Im starting to do a new batch in the next week or so.

Check!

it requires a ladder, or a tractor climb, but no worries. It'll have to be next weekend, as I am away in Glasgow for a while.
yummersetter

Glad they travelled safely. Finding wood to send made me aware of how plastered with flower buds the old apple trees are this year. If the weather permits, the orchard should be a beautiful sight in late April.

John at Scotts used to tell me that you had to cut a branch back the year before to produce good scions from old trees, then you take them from the new shoots that come from the remaining branch. Luckily I had some shortened a year or two back.
Lorrainelovesplants

no problem Nick, but really, if you are going up a ladder its fine - I have lots now. Lorrainelovesplants

I have now grafted 20 trees, and have some photos to do an article. How do I do this? Do you(admin) want me to email you a word doc and the photos? Nick

no problem Nick, but really, if you are going up a ladder its fine - I have lots now.

Stood standing in the field yesterday, holding a horse's paw in a bucket of salty water, I saw shoots at reachable height. So. Would you like some, or are you done? If you say yes, I will go now, and they can be with you over the weekend. Just PM me your address.

If you tell me how to cut them, if a straight cut isn't simply the answer.

If you've enough, then relax!
Lorrainelovesplants

any cut, yes still want.will pm you address. 2 sticks of each is plenty. Thanks so much. Lorrainelovesplants

do horses have paws? Laughing sean

I have now grafted 20 trees, and have some photos to do an article. How do I do this? Do you(admin) want me to email you a word doc and the photos?

If that's easiest for you. Send it straight to me - sean@ etc. Thank you for doing it.
Nick

any cut, yes still want.will pm you address. 2 sticks of each is plenty. Thanks so much.

I am unsure my wood is of sufficient length and girth to satisfy the contents of your PM. However, as always, I will do what I can with what I can. Let me know if it's satisfactory.
Lorrainelovesplants

Laughing In this case Nick, size matters! But thanks - Ill see what I can do.... Lorrainelovesplants

so how do I 'do' an article? sean

Just write up what you did and how you did it. Put notes of where you'd like the photos to go in the text and email the whole lot to me. Smile Lorrainelovesplants

ta Sean - my job for the evening. Lorrainelovesplants

Thanks to all for material. Smile Lorrainelovesplants

Well - Ive had some success -
Cornish Gillyflower, Bloody Ploughman, Chisel Jersey, Morgan Sweet, Cornish Aromatic, Reinette D'orleans, Captain John Broad - all have taken.

I have a few failures, so will be attempting to bud these at a budding course Im going on. (I know how to do it, but its good to network)
dpack

i will read the article with interest as i am in the process of negotiations to restore a early 19c orchard Lorrainelovesplants

Is the article up? I did email to Sean some time ago. sean

No. Sorry. I am a bad person. Thanks for reminding me though. I'll try to get it published this week. Lorrainelovesplants

You are a bad person.
But I forgive you! Smile
dpack

i recon a few of us might find apple cloning a good subject
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home