Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Islay

Are any/all of the phone recycling sites actually good?

I mean, are we fairly confident that the phones are being reused/recycled as they state on their website?

I'm looking particularly at envirophone to get rid of my old mobile, having finally upgraded, and I can only assume that they must recycle pretty effectively, as there's no other earthly reason why they'd be prepared to give me £40 for my old phone, but I was just wondering if anyone had any positive/negative stories about these kinds of websites?
jamanda

Cathryn's daughter is going out to Kenya to volunteer at the orphanage that Minamoo's family run soon. She is taking old phones with her as they can be mended and reused over there - and you certainly be sure they are going straight to where they are needed!
Jb

If you have a phone and remove the SIM, how much information is kept on the phone? Could there potentially be sensitive information in the phone rather than the SIM? Just wondered as Mrs JB acquired my last phone when her's broke and even with swapping the SIMs she ended up with a large amount of my contact list.
Nick

Varies from phone to phone. Certainly there's memory on the handset, so data (texts, numbers, contacts, etc) will remain on the phone unless you move it to the SIM memory. It'll probably remain on the phone, even if moved, but I suspect it's a wee bit harder to retrieve.
sean

You can clear the onboard memory given a bit of time. I assume that it's probably still retrievable if someone really wants to though, most deleted stuff is.
judith

Jamanda wrote:
Cathryn's daughter is going out to Kenya to volunteer at the orphanage that Minamoo's family run soon. She is taking old phones with her as they can be mended and reused over there - and you certainly be sure they are going straight to where they are needed!

Is she actively collecting old phones? I have a couple here in the "waiting for recycling" corner.
Cathryn

She is going to pack her rucksack and see how many more she can fit in. So I could let you know?
judith

Okey doke.
Not a problem if she can't fit them in - it would just be nice to help Mina's orphanage.
Nick

Cathryn wrote:
She is going to pack her rucksack and see how many more she can fit in. So I could let you know?

Tell me she's not going to try and take 35 cell phones as hand luggage. Please tell me this.
marigold

I'd say that if your phone is worth £40 to a recycling service, then it didn't need upgrading Wink . My old phone was worth nothing when I "upgraded" to Tittch's cast-off (and I only changed it then, because the battery was failing) Very Happy .
Cathryn

Nick wrote:
Cathryn wrote:

Tell me she's not going to try and take 35 cell phones as hand luggage. Please tell me this.

Smile She says she needs room for her clothes. I've told her not to worry as she will need to buy more respectable ones out there in any case and some new lugage to carry everyone's Christmas presents back in. Smile

I must contact Mina and discuss dates. When does her honeymoon finish? My impression is not for a long long time. Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home