Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
cqueenie

Arm Holes In The Round???

Is it possible to knit arm holes on circular needles?

Typical me, I started knitting without a pattern and its now turned into a tank top thing! I'm on circular needles and I can't work out whether or not I can knit arm holes without turning my brain into a whizzle.

Any thoughts, really not keen to go onto dpns?

Thanks in advance and I promise not to knit without a pattern ever again... Rolling Eyes
toggle

top down or bottom up?
cqueenie

Bottoms up Wine
mochyn

Interestingly I'm currently doing a top down sweater and have just reached armholes. I'm having fun thinking about how the shaping goes: looks good so far!
toggle

cqueenie wrote:
Bottoms up Wine

split in half, put half the stitches on a holder of some sort(theres another thread on this atm)

work the back first to sort out the armhole shaping, don't forget to do a flattish bit under each armpit and a little bit of shaping at the top for the neck. with the front, you will have to start the neck a lot sooner. its easier to do the back first so you're not shaping arm and neck first time you're working it out.

and lifeline, so if you don't like it, you can rip back easily
cqueenie

mochyn wrote:
Interestingly I'm currently doing a top down sweater and have just reached armholes. I'm having fun thinking about how the shaping goes: looks good so far!

I'm beginning to think top down might be easier!
Bulgarianlily

I can't remember what this is called but there are websites that show you knitting all the body of the jumper up to the shoulder seams in the round, and then (wait for it....) you just cut the armholes out with maybe a bit of backstitching to stabalise them and join on the sleeves. Here is one site

http://www.ehow.com/how_2221068_cut-handknitted-fabric.html
Vanessa

I did one like this last year. A knitting novice, too!! Kind of made it up as I went along, as the pattern I found was for very chunky wool.

Knitted bottom-up, BTW.

I knitted up to the armhole level, stopping half-way across either back or front, then knitted the sleeves, also in the round, to the same point. (as in, up to the underarm level)

I then put "some" stitches onto a holder for the sleeve, and the same from the bodice (each side) ... these being for the underarm. I guestimated how many by simply measuring how big I thought the underarm bit needed to be, then counting the stitches.

Starting knitting the bodice across to the "held back" stitches ... then knit with three needles ... so you knit 2 together, one from bodice, one from sleeve, of your "held back" stitches. It sounds really complicated, but when you do it, it's really not that bad. This from a novice, remember.

Once you have ALL your stitches onto the large circular needle, continue knitting until you need to do the decreasings for the neck.

Worked for me Cool
toggle

Bulgarianlily wrote:
I can't remember what this is called but there are websites that show you knitting all the body of the jumper up to the shoulder seams in the round, and then (wait for it....) you just cut the armholes out with maybe a bit of backstitching to stabalise them and join on the sleeves. Here is one site

http://www.ehow.com/how_2221068_cut-handknitted-fabric.html

steeking
gz

steeking as in Fair Isle knitting Smile

I've always knitted up to the armholes, knitted up the back and the front, knitted them together then up the collar.
Then picked up stitches round the armhole and knitted out the arms.

Lots of knitting, then you are finished....No Seams Laughing
Vanessa

No seams my way, either GZ ... and I don't have to do any 2-needle knitting Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home