Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
gardening-girl

Artex Ceilings

Horrid things I know,but eldest son is buying a house that has them in every room.
What is the best way to disguise/cover them?Working with a budget of virtually zilch.
Hairyloon

An SEP field. Wink
vegplot

Re: Artex Ceilings

Horrid things I know,but eldest son is buying a house that has them in every room.
What is the best way to disguise/cover them?Working with a budget of virtually zilch.

Almost nothing. It's nightmare stuff.
earthyvirgo

Having tried to cover with chipping off followed by a sort of plaster affair, which was quite frankly was a nightmare, I'd say plasterboard over is probably the cheapest and quickest solution.

EV
oldish chris

We had ours plastered over, basically "skimmed" by a professional plasterer. I appreciate your budgetary constraints, but get a quote (or three). I found that the cost is reasonable, and as the decorating stage will only require a pot of emulsion for a very good finish, worth it.
Behemoth

Some older artex contains asbestos so dont attempt to remove it, details should be on line somewhere. I'd go with board and skim when they can afford it.

He could board it himself, it's easy and realtively cheap.
onemanband

Wot Behemuth said.
IIRC it's only 25-30 for a test.
If it's an 'estate build' and they've all got artex then somebody else may have had a test done already.
dpack

We had ours plastered over, basically "skimmed" by a professional plasterer. I appreciate your budgetary constraints, but get a quote (or three). I found that the cost is reasonable, and as the decorating stage will only require a pot of emulsion for a very good finish, worth it.

pva and multi finish will sort it ,no dust ,safe ,etc etc

compared to other options pay a spread or learn to do ceilings(you need showing and a bit of practice but it isnt much harder than a wall if you are good at hands on skills)

as artex is rough it is easier than a slippy surface but probably pay a spread will be best result for cash outlay

boarding over is not going to look good until skimmed so just skim it

if i was local i would probably offer a price cheaper than a diy board job so long as the rooms were empty (not even a carpet )
gardening-girl

Thanks dpack,but they are in Bristol. dpack

im sure with a few phone calls to ask for a quote they can find a spread who is local to them .

get a fixed price for room one and a ditto price for the other rooms Wink
a good spread will be happy to do one as a example and tis easy to see if it is flat,smooth and not on the floor by the time they have done one ceiling

if they remove any paper from the walls chances are a good spread will sort the edges etc at the same time to give a nice crisp line.
Mistress Rose

We have had some of ours plastered, but we have left some of the others. Starting our married life in the 1970s, I don't find it too bad, but there has been a change of fashion now. We artexed our ceilings in our first house having taken down the lath and plaster that was rather badly cracked and replacing it with plasterboard. Meant we could do the job ourselves rather than get someone in to plaster. JB

Re: Artex Ceilings

Put dust covers and pots of paint on the floor in an obvious position. Then whenever anyone visits they will see the decorating materials and promptly excuse the existence of the artex because you are obviously halfway through redecorating. NB This principle can be used for years in succession without ever needing to do any decorating whatsoever.
OtleyLad

We had the same stuff in our living room. When we had the fireplace done and re-wiring we had it all plastered. The ceiling was covered with a skim and its sooooo much better. I watched him for a while - he was working on stilts and I was very impressed at the time. Worth every penny.

Only thing is the plasterer (who did a great job) didn't want to come out and do other small jobs. So we have a bare plasterboard staring at us at the top of the stairs where a doorway used to be (it reminds me of my constant failings).
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home