Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption
 


       Downsizer Forum Index -> Authors Corner
alison

Article?

Have you got a skill, or interest, that others may like to know about?

How about writing it down, with a few photos, if possible, and we will put it up as an article.

What sort of things do members want to know more about? Any ideas?
Chez

I still owe you one on how to go bankrupt without going mad. I'm on it, honestly.
sally_in_wales

I'd like to read more from people who have successfully gone from having a stable salary to living rich but economically frugal lives, and how they have balanced the potential issues between being time rich but money poor.
Brownbear

sally_in_wales wrote:
I'd like to read more from people who have successfully gone from having a stable salary to living rich but economically frugal lives, and how they have balanced the potential issues between being time rich but money poor.


None of them can afford the internet. Or a computer. Or electricity.
Barefoot Andrew

sally_in_wales wrote:
I'd like to read more from people who have successfully gone from having a stable salary to living rich but economically frugal lives, and how they have balanced the potential issues between being time rich but money poor.


That's a very good idea.
A.

PS Would anyone mind if I shifted this to Author's Corner?
vegplot

sally_in_wales wrote:
I'd like to read more from people who have successfully gone from having a stable salary to living rich but economically frugal lives, and how they have balanced the potential issues between being time rich but money poor.


I have just enough of a salary to live in a stable (if it wasn't for being mortgage free I would be living in a stable).
MarkS

sally_in_wales wrote:
I'd like to read more from people who have successfully gone from having a stable salary to living rich but economically frugal lives, and how they have balanced the potential issues between being time rich but money poor.


I suspect that most of them went from having a stable salary to living rich* but economically frugal lives, and fail to balance the very real issues of being time poor and money poor.



* For values of 'rich' akin to 'interesting' in an old Chinese cursish sort of way.
gardening-girl

I think that everyones definition of poor will be different.
OH and I now have a very low income in comparison of what we had before.But, we can still afford a good (to us)lifestyle.
To me, being poor,means that you cannot afford the basics for life.
ie, food, clothing and a roof overyour head.
Colesy

I remember reading Country life [or was it country living?] many years ago and it always seemed to have someone who was throwing pots in a shed but who seemed to live in the most palatial surroundings. When you reached the end of the article they always seemed to have a partner who managed ICI or some other giant firm!
alison

I would like to see some step by steps of simple knitting techniques, in separate articles, to be used as reference. (Not really for me, but I know it would be useful)

I would also like to see some step by step cooking techniques, rather than specific recipes.
MarkS

Colesy wrote:
I remember reading Country life [or was it country living?] many years ago and it always seemed to have someone who was throwing pots in a shed but who seemed to live in the most palatial surroundings. When you reached the end of the article they always seemed to have a partner who managed ICI or some other giant firm!


Very true. All the fuss about portfolio careers and the joys of a freelance/consultancy based lifestyle seriously misrepresented the balance of power in the employment market. There are a very small number of people who can actually live that life well. For most people it turns into a struggle to maintain contacts and retain work at a sensible rate.

The articles that would be useful would be those that delivered decent marketing advice to help people manage to live their lives supported by their business rather than have their life subsidise a number of purported businesses which are actually economically marginal if not hobbies.
sally_in_wales

MarkS wrote:


The articles that would be useful would be those that delivered decent marketing advice to help people manage to live their lives supported by their business rather than have their life subsidise a number of purported businesses which are actually economically marginal if not hobbies.


I think thats what I was trying to say but failed- definately material that would be useful. Its all very well knowing that you can do something well and enjoyably, but being able to scale it up to a point where an acceptable level of work provides an adequate level of income is a rare skill, and I think we perhaps have a few here that seem to have managed it and who could teach the rest of us a thing or two.
Mrs R

Personally, I think it's a very rare thing to be able to 'scale up' something you enjoy doing and do well to the point where you are making a 'decent' income for an 'acceptable' level of input - to the point where it's almost mythical. I think even those small businesses which look like plenty of money for not-so-much work would be doomed if you were to just tot up Xhrs = x ! I DREAD to think what my hourly rate of 'pay' is Laughing But, I get by, the businesses I support get by, and that's the main thing. I left behind any ideas of "Xhrs = x so it's not worth it" when I left paid employment.
Nicky Colour it green

Ixy wrote:
But, I get by, the businesses I support get by, and that's the main thing. I left behind any ideas of "Xhrs = x so it's not worth it" when I left paid employment.

so true - too foten i see people calculate it back to the minimum wage or some such.. but if you are self employed.. you work for nothing if that's what it takes to get it going.


I would like to see some mending articles. like darning etc
alison

Another one would be finance related.

How to go about reducing outlays, getting the best deal on utilities, which search engines or sites to use etc
bagpuss

alison wrote:
I would like to see some step by steps of simple knitting techniques, in separate articles, to be used as reference. (Not really for me, but I know it would be useful)

I would also like to see some step by step cooking techniques, rather than specific recipes.


what sort of step by step cooking articles do you think would be good.

We have pastry and cake

I tend to think in a recipe fashion so I am not sure what you mean
sally_in_wales

possibly more of the 'how to bone out a piece of meat' type article, but not necessarily about meat? Is that it?
bernie-woman

Chez wrote:
I still owe you one on how to go bankrupt without going mad. I'm on it, honestly.


I'm supposed to be doing one on that and debt management too from an advice agency perspective - it is half done Embarassed
bagpuss

sally_in_wales wrote:
possibly more of the 'how to bone out a piece of meat' type article, but not necessarily about meat? Is that it?


I was trying to think of what other kitchen tasks could be done like that
sally_in_wales

bagpuss wrote:
sally_in_wales wrote:
possibly more of the 'how to bone out a piece of meat' type article, but not necessarily about meat? Is that it?


I was trying to think of what other kitchen tasks could be done like that


hmm, maybe one on sugarwork? How to caremelise sugar, how to make a sugar syrup that doesnt recrystallise, that sort of thing maybe?
Barefoot Andrew

sally_in_wales wrote:
hmm, maybe one on sugarwork? How to caremelise sugar, how to make a sugar syrup that doesnt recrystallise, that sort of thing maybe?


Cab suggested an article about confectionery-making technique - which would be ace.
A.
Cathryn

Probably a case of keeping this in mind when you are about to cook something from scratch. We should hijack the "What are you eating tonight" thread and demand step by step photographic evidence. Smile
alison

Maybe different sauces
pastry making
sponges anc cakes
sally_in_wales

maybe also one of making really good vegetable stock, aimed perhaps at people who are more used to buying veg washed and trimmed and who are only just starting to explore the world of veg that has useable offcuts and peelings?

I'd like to see more articles on rescuing/reinforcing/revamping damaged or outdated furniture. I've been meaning to do one myself on how to fix a broken handle on a wicker basket for ages. Embarassed
Jamanda

alison wrote:
Maybe different sauces
pastry making
sponges anc cakes


already done
gardening-girl

What about bread recipes using different flours etc.
Most of mine is rather hit and miss.
bagpuss

Jamanda wrote:
alison wrote:
Maybe different sauces
pastry making
sponges anc cakes


already done


And sponge cakes

here
alison

Jamanda wrote:
alison wrote:
Maybe different sauces
pastry making
sponges anc cakes


already done


Well different pastry then, choux, puff etc
alison

bagpuss wrote:
Jamanda wrote:
alison wrote:
Maybe different sauces
pastry making
sponges anc cakes


already done


And sponge cakes

here


fatless, all in one, traditional victoria, maderia etc
bagpuss

alison wrote:
bagpuss wrote:
Jamanda wrote:
alison wrote:
Maybe different sauces
pastry making
sponges anc cakes


already done


And sponge cakes

here


fatless, all in one, traditional victoria, maderia etc


Possibly in the new year. I certainly have several books which tell you how.

I think a victoria sponge is basically the same as an all in one I believe
SimonD

Anyone interested in an article about earning from freelance writing? From writing the odd piece for magazines, to a newspaper column, to getting a literary agent, and finally a book deal. The money's not great, but aside from farmers' markets it's how we survive.
sally_in_wales

most definately, that would be a great article to read Very Happy
judith

Yes please!
Both for the site and for my own interest.
Mary-Jane

judith wrote:
Yes please!
Both for the site and for my own interest.


Ditto Very Happy
Chez

Yes please!
SimonD

Thank you for the thumbs-up. Okay, um, so what do i do now? Sorry, I'm pretty new to this. I guess I write it and then ... worry about what to do with it then - probably pm my favorite moderator for the next step Very Happy
Jamanda

SimonD wrote:
Thank you for the thumbs-up. Okay, um, so what do i do now? Sorry, I'm pretty new to this. I guess I write it and then ... worry about what to do with it then - probably pm my favorite moderator for the next step Very Happy


Yep, get it written and PMed -shout if you need help with attaching photos etc and we can take it from there. It sounds like it will be an interesting read.
alison

Jamanda wrote:
SimonD wrote:
Thank you for the thumbs-up. Okay, um, so what do i do now? Sorry, I'm pretty new to this. I guess I write it and then ... worry about what to do with it then - probably pm my favorite moderator for the next step Very Happy


Yep, get it written and PMed -shout if you need help with attaching photos etc and we can take it from there. It sounds like it will be an interesting read.


Oy, that is me, not you Wink
Jamanda

If you say so Wink
alison

Laughing Very Happy Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Authors Corner
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home