Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Treacodactyl

Asbestos testing

I know it's come up before but I thought I'd start a new thread.

Looking into asbestos it seems not only has it been used 'til 2000 or later but it crops up in so much stuff that most older houses are likely to have it somewhere. So, before some major work in the new place I thought I'd get stuff tested.

I eventually plumped for these people: http://www.bradley-enviro.co.uk/services/asbestos-consultants/asbestos-sample-testing.html

And for just under £80 inc VAT for 10 samples it seems well worth it (£108 if you get the kit with PPE etc). The results came back the very quickly and they've been very helpful dealing with questions.

Having done all that I'm still going to assume it's there even with negative results, use a suitable mask and get a type H vacuum just in case.
dpack

in domestic property the most probable asbestos product that will cause problems is artex (polybond and skim is the easy option) ,roofing ,flues,fireproof boards etc etc are fairly safe if you use good practice removing and disposing of them(do not use power tools or bash them ) but if you find fluffy lagging call the professionals.
Mistress Rose

As far as artex is concerned covering it is as good a way to go as any. We have had some artex ceilings skimmed with plaster and it has worked well and hasn't come off.

It is always a good idea to wear a mask when pulling stuff down as there will be other things like dust, and Hepa filters will clean it up well, but if no asbestos has been found, don't go to extremes.

You are right Dpack, the fluffy stuff is the dangerous one, and needs professional clearing.
Treacodactyl

Just because no asbestos has shown in a test it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it just means it's not in the sample. One thing I have discovered, for example, is some fillers used to have asbestos in them.
Mistress Rose

It was used in a lot of things in the 1950s and 60s and before. I think the guttering on my parents house built in 1953 was asbestolux which contained it, although not generally considered too bad.
dpack

It was used in a lot of things in the 1950s and 60s and before. I think the guttering on my parents house built in 1953 was asbestolux which contained it, although not generally considered too bad.

if cut or broken such products will release(usually) white asbestos fibers and so do need sensible care if removing them and designated asbestos waste disposal,garage/barn roof sheets are a common example but many pre 1980 flue pipes will be an asbestos product

sheet board and pipes in fire damaged properties are a nightmare to do properly as they are often damp and the water in them boils and they pop.

it isnt often a domestic issue but brown and blue asbestos lagging is truly awful stuff although it can sometimes be found in very old fairly large houses on old steam heating pipes etc .

a small aside about a vile man called sir cyril smith is that among his many grave faults he was a major player for the political wing of the asbestos industry and delayed both preventative legislation and compensation for industrial disease caused by exposure at work for a couple of decades.

the dangers of working with asbestos have been known since roman times when only the most troublesome slaves were sent to the asbestos mines.
Mistress Rose

This area is one where the use of white asbestos is a major problem. The dockyard used to employ a lot of people and many have gone down with asbestos related diseases. Husband was lucky and he was sent onto a 'clean' ship. His friend was sent to one covered in asbestos and died at an early age. A local MP has not made herself popular by saying that increased compensation should only be given to people affected 'if it can be afforded' by the employer.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home