Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
tai haku

asian pear

So in my head, my asian pear (shinseki) has become labelled as a "poor-doer". It has lagged massively behind everything else that went in in the first year of the orchard and has spent 3 years growing 12 inches then dying back 11. But then today I found this:

I'm giving serious thoughts to including 4 or 5 more in this year's tree orders as I do like the thought of growing thoughts others don't which I can't buy (and can easily find a market for if I have a glut) but I'd really welcome other people's experience in terms of growth, varieties, fruiting and so on.
yummersetter

I'm growing this too, and will have a first crop of a dozen fruits this year, if all goes well. Looking forward to tasting them, they're the classic tasteless supermarket fruit when you buy them so I'm hoping for a pleasant surprise.
tahir

Poor doers here, had a few small fruit last year
tai haku

Poor doers here, had a few small fruit last year

Can I ask which variety(ies?) you're growing Tahir?
tahir

4 different ones, 2 that begin with an S, one with a K. I'll try and look em up later
tahir

Turns out the only ones that got delivered and planted were Kumoi (I'd ordered 4 varieties altogether), had our first crop here last year in a massive year for pears, off 4 trees we got maybe 4kg of quite small fruit (same sort of size as medlars)
yummersetter

My Shinseiki pear, planted 2 and a half years ago. I also planted Louise Bonne of Jersey, Jargonelle and Nouveau Poiteau and I'd say the Japanese Pear is the healthiest of the group. About sixty fruits on the tree when I just counted.

yummersetter

and . .

tahir

Bloody hell, mine look all blighty and manky, not like yours
tai haku

Bloody hell, mine look all blighty and manky, not like yours

ditto! Mine's only 4 1/2 foot high now! To it's credit it does always flower well but I've always thought that might be a hail mary effort at wild-oat sowing on the basis it's about to keel over and die.
yummersetter

Sweet Somerset Air. And lots of water in the past couple of winters Very Happy gray_b

The fruit of my 10 year old Shinseiki are very very juicy and a delicate taste (some would say insipid). But do not forget they do not ripen if picked and stored.

The tree is regularly pollarded as it just gets to big for my back garden. So the next year I get no fruit.

The only problem I have is iron deficiency which is visible as yellow leaves with green veins. It does not seem to affect the tree thou.
yummersetter

Does that mean that if you pick them when ripe you can store them? Do they all ripen on the tree at the same time? gray_b

If you were to pick them at any particular time, they would stay at that particular state of ripeness. They do not ripen any further.

Also they do not ripen all at the same time.

They do not store very well, maybe a week on the table, or 2-3 months refrigerated.

Which is why if you were to buy them from the supermarket, they are more than likely not to be at there optimum ripeness.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home