Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
sean

Asking you lot's as good as asking anyone else...

What do you reckon's going to happen to interest rates over the next five years? We've got a comfortably small mortgage, currently on a discounted variable rate. It's not worth us going for anything with an arrangement fee because nothing available is going to wash its face financially. Our current lenders will let us move to a five year fixed rate for nowt. 5% early repayment fee, but we're not going to move and the rellies aren't crumbly enough to make that a problem.
Over to the downsizer economics panel...
Northern_Lad

Double your mortgage and give me the extra cash, which I shall invest for you.

Interest rates with probably be a touch lower in 5 years, although I can't see much of a movement unless something global happens.
marigold

What is the fixed rate they are offering?
sean

About 6ish, bit more than we're paying now, about 1% below their SVR.
Jonnyboy

They know that people need to service their debts, so interest rates are unlikely to rise, inflationary pressures of fuel and food mean that they are unlikely to fall much.

I vote for little change in the rates.
marigold

Around 6% for 5 years looks quite standard (with fairly hefty fees).
http://www.moneyextra.com/mortgages/bestbuys/best-fixed-rate-mortgages.html#

Personally I wouldn't want to be tied into a fixed rate for 5 years and I don't think the banks would be offering the deals if they expected rates to go up significantly, but if you are allowed to overpay it might be helpful to have a fixed rate and increase your payments each year if your income expands to allow that.
Mrs Fiddlesticks

we've got a tracker one.

As to what the interest rates will do I sense there'll be no quick surprises. Slow changes, possibly upwards actually. There was something in the weekend papers about a suggestion of raising the target inflation rate since the 2% its suppose to be at looks more and more difficult (ridiculous) to maintain or even reflect the true picture

What I do think will happen though is that lending criteria will be much tightened and it will be harder to change/ get new mortgage. This is already in evidence

Reducing all debt (especially non mortgage type like credit cards, loans etc) sounds the best course of action over all. If you can overpay to reduce the mortgage so much the better.
bernie-woman

Jonnyboy wrote:
They know that people need to service their debts, so interest rates are unlikely to rise, inflationary pressures of fuel and food mean that they are unlikely to fall much.

I vote for little change in the rates.

I agree with Jonnyboy - hope I am not proved wrong Very Happy
Treacodactyl

Re: Asking you lot's as good as asking anyone else...

sean wrote:
What do you reckon's going to happen to interest rates over the next five years?

I'm not really sure, probably not much. I can see the inflation target of 3% being relaxed and a reduction in rates if house prices fall too much and a recession takes hold, especially nearer the general election.

If the credit crunch sorts itself out then base rates don't need to change for the mortgage rate to fall as they are higher than they should be at the moment.

At the end of the day your provider will expect to make some extra money on a fixed rate deal to compensate it for the extra risk it's taking (or whoever is providing your lender money will). So, they believes the rates will be, on average, less than they're offering but do you want piece of mind or can you gamble a little?

Not sure if this is any more help? http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/fixed-discount-mortgage-guide
Barefoot Andrew

My mortgage is at 5.99% fixed for all ten years of its term. I intend to pay it off well before that timeframe is up...
A.
sean

Re: Asking you lot's as good as asking anyone else...

Treacodactyl wrote:

At the end of the day your provider will expect to make some extra money on a fixed rate deal to compensate it for the extra risk it's taking (or whoever is providing your lender money will). So, they believes the rates will be, on average, less than they're offering but do you want piece of mind or can you gamble a little?

I'm leaning towards the security at the moment. Our income is unlikely to rise massively in the next five years. If it does we can over pay anyway. The fact that there's no arrangement fee in this case shifts the sums in our favour a bit, especially looking at the fees on marigold's link. (I know that you can roll them into the mortgage, but that's bloody daft in our position.)
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home