Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
sean

Asparagus...

Saw the first Cornish asparagus in the greengrocer's this morning. Very Happy
judith

Nary a sign of the stuff in my asparagus bed Crying or Very sad
Fee

wooop, will keep an eye out then Very Happy

Asparagus, how I've missed thee, for it seems so long since last we met.

When I gobbled you all up smothered in butter.
sean

Apparently it's one farm with a particularly sheltered microclimate. There was something about them in the Indie this Saturday.
Stewy

Might go to the Asparagus festival this year.

http://www.britishasparagusfestival.org/
Vic

Ours was starting to come up... and then it snowed. Had two rather elderly, tired spears yesterday and I think the next picking will be a while...
tigger

Picked a bunch of wild asparagus last sunday in the woods.
Vic

Ate some wonderful asparagus risotto near Bologna the week before last!
tigger

Altedo?
LynneA

Some of the crowns I planted earlier this year are starting to poke their heads above ground.

Hopefully, this time next year, I'll be getting ready to roast them in small bundles held together with streaky bacon, drizzled with olive oil and showered with a generous grinding of black pepper.

More likely though I'll look at the bed and wonder where all the b****y couch has come from Neutral
Barefoot Andrew

Re: Asparagus...

sean wrote:

We're all coming round to yours for tea.
A.
Treacodactyl

sean wrote:

Did you buy any of the 'foreign' asparagus then? Wink
Jamanda

tigger wrote:

I only know one place that grows over here, and I think it's protected.
Jamanda

Treacodactyl wrote:
sean wrote:

Did you buy any of the 'foreign' asparagus then? Wink

No, because I was doing tea (Chicken curry and DS saag - ramsoms and ground elder). But I'm sre we'll having some before long.
cab

Jamanda wrote:
tigger wrote:

I only know one place that grows over here, and I think it's protected.

Keep an eye out for overgrown sparrowgrass plants around hedges, old railway lines etc. wherever in the country it is farmed, it isn't that uncommon to encounter 'domestic' asparagus self seeded in the wild.

Ours in the garden is throwing up plenty of spears at the moment.
Jamanda

But make sure it isn't this. If you are inland you'll be fine.
cab

Jamanda wrote:
But make sure it isn't this. If you are inland you'll be fine.

A real rarity, but quite a different looking plant to regular sparrowgrass.
Jamanda

That photo doesn't look anything like what I saw - and I was with the official recorders for the area. This was like asparagus shoots, but spindlier and more prostate. Maybe that's what the shoots look like when they come out.
cab

I've never seen the young shoots of that form; the adult frondy bits are rather different to cultivated asparagus though. The leaflets seem much more densely packed. Fascinated to hear that the younger shoots are more like 'asparagus' though. I suppose thats what you'd expect.

Must be damned hard to find it in the wild when the shoots are so young, such an inconspicuous little thing. Presumably you had a good idea where you were looking?
Jamanda

cab wrote:
I've never seen the young shoots of that form; the adult frondy bits are rather different to cultivated asparagus though. The leaflets seem much more densely packed. Fascinated to hear that the younger shoots are more like 'asparagus' though. I suppose thats what you'd expect.

Must be damned hard to find it in the wild when the shoots are so young, such an inconspicuous little thing. Presumably you had a good idea where you were looking?

Yes - we were looking for a few very rare things that lived in that area - a watercrow's foot and a tiny little pearlwort. We found them all. Very Happy
Or rather the experts did.
tigger

quite common here. you sometimes see it on the roadsides too but I prefer to pick it in the woods away from the exhaust fumes!! It's much skinnier than cultivated asparagus, very spindley so it's often difficult to see. lovely in a risotto or omelette.
Vic

tigger wrote:
Altedo?

Is that a place, or a type of risotto?? It was in someone's home (well, sort of) up in the hills near Sasso Marconi. Fantastic spot and such a wonderful time of year to be in Italy, even tho I was working.
thos

The local Carrefour is selling asparagus with no provenance and no date and it looks ancient - the very Fanny Cradock of asparagus. Fortunately there seem to be no takers.
tigger

Vic wrote:
tigger wrote:
Altedo?

Is that a place, or a type of risotto?? It was in someone's home (well, sort of) up in the hills near Sasso Marconi. Fantastic spot and such a wonderful time of year to be in Italy, even tho I was working.

Town I live in! home to the "Festa del Asparago " - the 3rd weekend in May. I put a link on about it at about this time last year
Vic

A Festa del Asparago!!

The Italians really do have their priorities right...
tigger

but they sometimes go over the top. I have seen (not tasted) asparagus ice-cream that weekend too Shocked
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home