Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Jamanda

Assorted reptiles

This morning BW and I were lucky enough to see a number of male and female adders. The male is clear on here and the female is lurking to the top right of the picture.

This is the tail end of a grass snake who was very camera shy!

And then I found this little chap while I was gardening (it's a baby slow-worm)

frewen

That baby slow worm is gorgeous ! love5
Bodger

Super pictures. thumbup
LynneA

We have loads of slow worms at the allotment. One of the reasons we're moving over to no dig beds is to avoid damage to them.
Mistress Rose

We get slow worms in the garden, often in the compost heaps, although they do hibernate in a chalk bank. I love them too; they are cool and sort of stiff but flexible if you see what I mean. Laughing
dpack

nice snaps

just a quick reminder that adders are not often fatal to humans but they are often fatal to dogs
Cathryn

And horses.

Lovely photos.
dpack

And horses.

Lovely photos.

horses are often fatal to humans as well Laughing

i didnt know they are vulnerable to adder bites,i would have thought that the size thing would protect them ,it does with human/dog ie small kids/dogs are most at risk of a fatal bite,adults and huge dogs often survive even though it is quite unpleasant.

many years ago before they were a protected species i was asked to dispatch them when living wild in the highlands by a keeper who had lost 3 dogs. very tasty but they are a bit dangeroos to prep.
Rob R

Horses are the most fatal animals in Australia, according to QI - best avoided at all costs.
Cathryn

I was basing this on one horse. Smile The bite wasn't noticed for a day or so and then it took sometime before the vet realised what had happened. The wound never healed and just kept breaking down more and more until the horse had to be put down.
tai haku

got in on the reptile action this weekend with the only truly native reptile on the island finally revealing itself to me.......
buzzy

We found this Common Lizard at Barnack Hills and Holes on Monday. Quite obliging for the camera.

Henry

Jamanda

They usually shoot off very quickly! Perhaps he hadn't warmed up yet.
Mistress Rose

My son had a common lizard use his leg as a look out post once. We had just mown the bracken and this lizard decided son would do instead. Took ages to persuade it to leave. Question; if a person needs a licence to handle a lizard, does a lizard need a licence to handle a person. Laughing
robkb

Fantastic photos.

I used to see loads of slow worms on my old allotment (unused for seven years before I took it on), but now I've moved to a fully cultivated plot they're more shy.
buzzy

They usually shoot off very quickly! Perhaps he hadn't warmed up yet.

It obviously wanted to be in the sun. It wriggled off once when somebody moved too close, but soon returned for another basking session.

Henry
Nick

We found this at the weekend.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=igb03s_ckzE
Mistress Rose

Glad we don't get them in the UK.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home