Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
sean

At the greengrocer's this morning...

Wet walnuts, fresh cobnuts, broad beans, purple sprouting broccoli, multi-coloured beetroot, broad beans....days like this I love shopping.
Mistress Rose

Our greengrocer is selling wet walnuts too. I also saw some of those purple cauliflower that I have never really fancied. All sorts of varieties of apples available now as the main crop are just coming in.
Jam Lady

Lots of those purple vegetables - cauliflower, broccoli, beans - turn green when cooked. And purple carrots are only purple at the skin.

Did you know that carrots were assorted colors until the 17th century when Dutch growers cultivated orange carrots as a tribute to William of Orange.
Mistress Rose

I find my purple sprouters and purple French beans go green when I cook them, but I thought I was cooking them wrong. Glad to know I am not. Yes, I did know about the carrots. A lot were white I think. You can still buy mixed colours as well as the seed. A producer near us who is at the Farmers Markets produces them in all colours as well as white, green, orange and purple cauliflower and various coloured radishes and cabbages. His stall is always very colourful.
john of wessex

any apostrophes?
Jam Lady

purple ones?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home