Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Hairyloon

Automated Mailing Systems

Some time ago I didn't get a letter from the council. I did not reply to it and now of course, the time limit for responding is long gone.

The council say that the system is automatic: they log a decision onto the system and it automatically sends out the letters.
This time, it appears that it did not, so I am wondering if there is anybody here who knows how these systems work, in order that we might find an explanation as to why it did not.

My theory is that the decision was retrospective by quite a long way: the claim was opened and closed a year or so before the decisions to open or close it occurred.
Because of this, the claim was never "live"to be picked up by the automatic posting mechanism.

If I was commissioning such a system, I think I would want it to leave a trail in case of future query: the decision should have a reference number which can be matched up to the printer log.
Is that an unreasonable expectation?
vegplot

It most likely has an audit trail or at least a log. However, if that says a letter was sent then it was sent even though it may not have been.
Nick

And none of it will help if the postman didn't get it to you, or your dog ate it.
Hairyloon

It most likely has an audit trail or at least a log. However, if that says a letter was sent then it was sent even though it may not have been.

The judgment of the court is that it was sent regardless of the facts, so I don't see that I have much to lose by asking to see a log which might just show that it wasn't.

And none of it will help if the postman didn't get it to you, or your dog ate it.

The law considers that to be sufficiently unlikely to be discounted as a possibility. On this occasion I think that it is more likely that it wasn't sent.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home