Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Cathryn

Automatic needle threader

Do they work, every time?
alice

On a machine do you mean? Mine doesn't, not every time, probably works 4 out of 5 times. Nice when it does though Wink Works best on the thinnest thread.
Cathryn

No, the ones for hand sewing. I always break the little metal ones, the fine wire pulls out so easily and was looking at the plastic gadget ones.
alice

Oh. Dunno then Smile
Finsky

I used to have one of those plastic ones...years ago..forgot all about them.
But yes..they do work...well mine did...I'm not sure if the one you are after is same.
Mine use to have little 'needle holder' where you drop the needle and press the little lever next to it for threading...there was a place for the cotton too but I've forgotten where that did slot.
Wow..do they really still do those? I had 'ferrari'-red one with white 'button/lever'... Very Happy
Jamanda

I seem to recall my Mum had one, and that it did work.
sean

You could just accept that you need to visit the opticians.
Kenworth

How about these? http://www.asseenontvguys.com/one-second-needle.aspx

I seen them at my local Walgreens (pharmacy that also carries odds and ends).
Kenworth

How about these? http://www.asseenontvguys.com/one-second-needle.aspx

I seen them at my local Walgreens (pharmacy that also carries odds and ends).
MullersLaneFarm

No, the ones for hand sewing. I always break the little metal ones, the fine wire pulls out so easily

Put the fine wire back in (you may have to open the thingee-bobbee) then squish the thingee-bobbee shut on the wire and put a dab of hot glue on it.

I can't image plastic ones being fine enough to go through the eye of a needle!
MullersLaneFarm

Mine use to have little 'needle holder' where you drop the needle and press the little lever next to it for threading...there was a place for the cotton too but I've forgotten where that did slot.
Wow..do they really still do those? I had 'ferrari'-red one with white 'button/lever'... Very Happy

Ohhh!!! Now I know what you're talking about!! Yes, that bright red with the white button/lever. My mother had one of those....

I think my sister broke it .... yeah, the sister that never touched any type of needle arts ... okay, maybe I broke it ... but it was an accident, I swear!!
Finsky

I bought one for my mother at the time..as a 'good idea for Christmas pressie'..she probably thought I was trying to tell something about her state of eyesight and/or age.. Laughing ..so never used it.
I thought it was marvelous thingy and played with my sister too with it..and when I did started learning sewing in school I did use it for sake of getting fed up threading needles all the time..temper thing.. Embarassed
I have to look if I find one again..I WANT ONE! I'm the same age that my mother was at the time..don't really need it..but just for geekery of it..or should I say 'retro' feel of it..it would be just fab to have one near my sewing things.. Laughing
I think I need to call my mum if it still exist amongt all our 'rubbish' she keeps storing..
Finsky

I just googled about them..
they do do them!! Not quite same looking as mine was but very similar..
http://www.barnyarns.co.uk/Automatic-HAND-Needle-Threader-in-BLUE-pr-16728.html
I'm going to search more and see if other colours and designs exist.. Very Happy
MullersLaneFarm

The one we had in the 60's was about half that size & red. I swear the white button/lever went vertical instead of horizontal ...

Maybe

After all, it was my sister that broke the darn thing!
Finsky

I found the one I used to have!..yes its smaller and single needle thingy. But I do like the look of the new double treader..things move on in all things..even in treaders.. Laughing
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H236-Hemline-Automatic-Needle-Threader-/170557280301?pt=UK_Crafts_Sewing_Supplies_MJ&hash=item27b601902d
I found the double one sold in red colour with one of the mobile aid companies..I'm going to treat myself.. Laughing Rolling Eyes
Finsky

Ahh..and with the original packaging picture..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magic-Automatic-Needle-Threader-/260801231455?pt=UK_Crafts_Sewing_Supplies_MJ&hash=item3cb8f6fa5f
It came in small cardboard box..not much bigger than matchbox.
MullersLaneFarm

Yes, It was like this one ... but I can tell this is a much newer model!!

My sister probably wouldn't be able to break this one!!
Cathryn

Been to the opticians. Smile I will try glueing the one I have and I will try a gadget. Finsky

Quote:
Been to the opticians
Very Happy ..can you see like owl now.. Wink
I ended up ordering myself the 'magic' needle threader..just like the one I used to have and all for just a bit of nostalgia.. Rolling Eyes
Well..I'm sorted now when the eye sight start failing me..
Cathryn

Quote:
Been to the opticians
Very Happy ..can you see like owl now.. Wink

Oh yes but I have to take them off to thread a needle and I apologies to Gil for arguing with her some years ago about how this would never happen to me. Crying or Very sad
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home