Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
gil

AVG - how long to scan ?

I notice my AVG (Free version) virus scanner is taking about 2-3hrs to scan my computer every time I turn it on, during which time it slows everything down so much that it is not worth even trying to use the PC. If I just let it scan and do nothing else, it takes about 1/2 to 3/4hr.

Causes ? Suggestions ?
My PC has puny capacity, and broadband is very slow here.
bagpuss

Can you schedule the scan to run either overnight or early morning so it happens when you don't need to use the computer

Do you have a sensible firewall so scans are unlike to find anything anyway? in which case you could reduce the number of them (once a month say)

There may be better tools out there, I haven't looked recently
tahir

Microsoft Security Essentials is better
cir3ngirl

Have you done a disc scan and defrag lately
gil

Thank you all for suggestions !

AVG is set up to run the scan when I am not using the PC, but I turn it off completely overnight to save electricity, so that's why it scans when I boot up.

Haven't defragged the disk that recently, but not ages ago either. Will try again.
sgt.colon

Don't forget to clean out your temp files as well. Smile
gil

Don't forget to clean out your temp files as well. Smile

how do I do that ?
sgt.colon

Start, all programs, accessories, system tools, disk clean up.

It can take a while whilst it scans, so don't think it has crashed. Once it's done it allows you to chose what files you wish to delete, make sure you select temp files, as well as any others you wish to get rid of. Smile
gil

Thanks !
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home