Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
lynseyt

bantam vs chickens

Thanks to all those who answered my post back in June. My 3 bantams seem to be doing really well and I have built them a new home complete with perches and nest boxes - and the good news is that my Frizzle laid her first egg today - we are so proud! I did have a momentary panic as I looked out of the window and only say 2 chooks, ran out and thought to check the coop and there she was in the nest box as happy as a pig in mud! Just waiting with baited breath for the others to start.

Anyway having well and truly caught the bug I was wondering if you can keep normal size chickens with bantams or will the bantams be bullied? My new coop would probably take 6 chickens (they have free run of our field during the day). Also how do I incorporate new chickens or bantams in with my existing 3?

And.... I have slight concern that one of the chooks is a cockeral - quite dominant, very red prominent comb but no crowing. They were only 8 weeks old when I got them so the farmer couldnt tell. So how do I tell?

Also (last question!) does anyone have any tips about dating and storing the eggs?

Many thanks
Gertie

Hi lynseyt - pleased to hear about your girls - they sound lovely.

Sorry, I cannot help regarding the hen/cockerel question, but I know that there will be people (JUDITH - ALISON where are you!!!) here who can answer that for you.

These ladies will probably give you information about the dating and storing of eggs as well. Wink
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home