• 1 cup of sugar

• 3 cups of SR flour

• 1 teasp mixed spice

• 1 tablesp black treacle

• 1/2 to 1 cup boiling milk

• 1 egg

Recipe

1. Soak the fruit overnight in cold tea

2. Stir all ingredients together, finally adding the milk to make a slightly sloppy mix.

3. Bake at 325 - 350°F (160 - 175°C) for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Check if it is done regularly by inserting a skewer or fine knife blade.

Comments

This loaf is better if left to mature. Wrap it up well and forget it is there for about two days. I like it plain but my Mum serves hers buttered.
jamanda

Do you use brown sugar or is that redundant given the treacle?
earthyvirgo

Re: Bara Brith

Ingredients

• 1 cup of fruit and cherries

• 1 cup of sugar

• 3 cups of SR flour

• 1 teasp mixed spice

• 1 tablesp black treacle

• 1/2 to 1 cup boiling milk

• 1 egg

Recipe

1. Soak the fruit overnight in cold tea

2. Stir all ingredients together, finally adding the milk to make a slightly sloppy mix.

3. Bake at 325 - 350°F for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Check if it is done regularly by inserting a skewer or fine knife blade.

Comments

This loaf is better if left to mature. Wrap it up well and forget it is there for about two days. I like it plain but my Mum serves hers buttered.

You can't beat a good Bara Brith.
That looks very similar to my Mum's recipe.

Last time we spoke, she'd just made two and was making another two for the Doctor's surgery - one for her Dr and one for the receptionists! Smile

EV
jamanda

Someone had made one at a village hall do we went to last weekend (we know how to Rock in North Devon) and Ben was very keen, so I said I'd make one this weekend.
earthyvirgo

Someone had made one at a village hall do we went to last weekend (we know how to Rock in North Devon) and Ben was very keen, so I said I'd make one this weekend.

The overnight soak in tea is what makes it a real Bara Brith

EV
vegplot

She also makes a version with marzipan in the middle.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipe Database
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home